Fancy Interconnects? How about a potato, or even mud? - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2013, 12:28 AM   #321
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Unfortunately not.
Yes, there is noise from the analog section. That makes it easy to see if you use software. However some listeners picked it without, going on details other than noise.

I'll be using lower noise equipment for the next round. I've already tested it.
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:34 AM   #322
diyAudio Member

DF96, why don't you check him out on 'Google'? Maybe you will find that he is a lot more successful than some here, claim. '-)
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:05 AM   #323
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
DF96, why don't you check him out on 'Google'? Maybe you will find that he is a lot more successful than some here, claim. '-)
what does that have to do with ahything? if he's wrong, he's wrong.
whenever I see this pattern, some high end guy defending another high end guy even when there's hard data indicating they are wrong, I kinda start believing that there is some sort of conspiracy after all.
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:25 AM   #324
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I assume by 'him' you mean Hawksford? I am not interested in success, but truth. You sometimes seem to confuse these two quite different concepts. Being a professor in a reasonable UK university shows that he is successful but so what? That is no guarantee that everything he writes is true. He certainly is not the first professor to publish stuff which is simply wrong - for another example look at some of the stuff about compact radio antennas from two UK EE professors (one now retired).
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:48 AM   #325
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
kind off-topic topic, but...
interesting comment by Andrew Jones (KEF, TAD) about speaker cables, practically he says that he's in a field where it's sacrilege to say the don't matter (talking about conspiracies). but they could matter with less high-end systems, he also comments in a political manner

Home Theater Geeks 112 | TWiT.TV (skip to 58:47)

(interview is from May 2012)
Old 23rd June 2013, 09:11 PM   #326
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I didn't! I had the beer all ready to test, but drank it instead. It made the experimenting soooo much better. It was not excluded, just used in a different role.

Will do a beer run for you on the next test.
Pano, thanks.
There is no need to do a beer run for me.
You handled beer in the proper way. Beer IMO is "by design" for drinking enjoyment.
On the other hand, with this original work of yours, you have already made your point: “Conductor’s” qualities play a role which is statistically difficult to justify acoustically.
My question is (and I had asked you to pay attention on equal loop area and geometry with all your “interconnects”) what about the qualities of the intervening “medium” between the two –signal and return-conductors?
You see, I am obviously influenced by the “EM wave travelling along, constrained by the boundaries formed by the two conductors” theory (Heaviside)

George

Last edited by gpapag; 23rd June 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:48 PM   #327
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I was careful with the plastic pipes to keep the 2 sides at least similar. But they were in the same plane, not really parallel or orthogonal. If it matters...

The new test rig is shielded, 1M long and parallel. We shall hear if it makes a difference. At least the noise floor will be lower.
Old 5th December 2013, 10:42 PM   #328
diyAudio Member

Thinking about comparing apples and oranges, but I have to be careful, as there is a lemon law in this state. if the results are disapointing I'll have to chalk it up to sour grapes.
Old 6th December 2013, 07:18 AM   #329
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
What's interesting is that the mp3 coding artifacts are more significant than the interconnect differences.
From Drew Daniels (RIP), Pro Audio Engineering Giant:

mp3 Exposť

mp3exposed

Please check out Drew's awesome resume @

CV

Hide this!Advertise here!