Fancy Interconnects? How about a potato, or even mud? - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2013, 10:05 AM   #101
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
There's all sorts of
True but regardless of the way one chooses to probe the phenomena, I would like to have as much data (apart from looks/WAF/smell issues) as possible for to help me decide on a CD to pre amp interconnect.
Potato, banana, tomato or watermelon?

Temperature variations, moisture content variation with time and electrode surface/juice contact variability, are probably adequately strong factors to render the idea of pining down electric components on cactus leafs to form a bionic-looks, discrete component preamplifier (my last night’s dream), technically questionable.

George

For obvious reasons, this alternative construction method is not applicable to future Mars-based audiophiles tweaking.

Last edited by gpapag; 29th May 2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 29th May 2013, 10:16 AM   #102
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Insist on solitons. Spinless charge carriers tend to cause less confusion of the musical lines and don't interfere with pace, rhythm, and timing.
Old 29th May 2013, 10:36 AM   #103
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Ah, of course; now I know why some people prefer non-linear amplifiers. You need non-linearity to form the solitons. That had always puzzled me; I thought that maybe some people actually liked the sound of distortion.

Once launched from a non-linear amplifier (or just a non-linear tube buffer) the solitons can propagate without harm along any suitably unusual cable. Ordinary EE-like cables such as coax or twisted pairs quickly kill off the solitons, though.
Old 29th May 2013, 10:38 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
tried passing a signal thru a pencil lead. no luck
As we found in physics classes at school, to burn the wood off from around a pencil lead using current from an accumulator, it had to be a 'B' or preferably a '4B'; I believe the harder 'leads' have added ceramic.

If you drop a pencil you can end up with a break in the lead, which might explain your missing signal.
Old 29th May 2013, 10:39 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
SA (Smooth Assassinator)
I always had pace rhythm and timing issues with the electronics amplification part of my system.

Jokes aside, is electrode/organic molecules interface a live research area?

George

Last edited by gpapag; 29th May 2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 29th May 2013, 10:54 AM   #106
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Jokes aside, is electrode/organic molecules interface a live research area?
Huge.
Old 29th May 2013, 11:16 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There's all sorts of ways that charge is transported in solids (including polarons and solitons). But since this is AC, it's a field transmission- the charged entities have a short path and basically just jiggle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soliton
Running the risk of Scott Russell’s case to trigger another JC anti DBT burst, I can’t see solitons playing a game at the frequencies we are interested here (but I may be wrong)

On the contrary, I read as polarons do live with us and thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn their existence.
Polaron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I understand now why you offered fields as the appropriate way of thinking over them.

George

Last edited by gpapag; 29th May 2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 29th May 2013, 11:28 AM   #108
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Running the risk of Scott Russell’s case to trigger another JC anti DBT burst, I can’t see solitons playing a game at the frequencies we are interested here (but I may be wrong)
Surprisingly, they can. In the late 1970s, it was discovered that upon doping of polyacetylene, the conductivity rose to metallic levels, but the spin carriers dropped to zero. This puzzling result was soon discovered to be caused by the formation of charged solitons (the free carriers in the undoped insulating material were neutral solitons with spin 1/2). I don't have the original reference handy, but the experimental observation was by Alan MacDiarmid's group at Penn, and the theoretical explanation followed shortly thereafter by Su, Schrieffer (the "S" of BCS), and Heeger. MacDiarmid and Heeger managed a Nobel Prize in 2000 for their efforts.
Old 29th May 2013, 12:09 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Thank you.

OT:
SY, when I read about modern world fascinating research activities, my mind turns to 19th century pioneers and I wonder if today’s key researchers manage to enjoy good financial rewards.
(I remember R. Reagan had said something like that when wage-cutting was decided for scientists working with national research centers: “they enjoy what they are doing” …! )

George
Old 29th May 2013, 01:13 PM   #110
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I wonder if today’s key researchers manage to enjoy good financial rewards.
Many do. Several engineers who worked for me are now multimillionaires and at least one is a billionaire.

I can assure you that I'm broke. If you work for a national research center, your salary is good, not great, but the benefits are outstanding. One can live very well and retire young (by US standards). Job security is also remarkable compared to the private sector.

Hide this!Advertise here!