Speaker cable diying? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2013, 08:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker cable diying?

Hello All I am not trying to open a can of worms with speaker wires but, I had a few questions? In the past I worked for a speaker cable company as a sales man for a short time I woun't even get into that!). One question was always on my mind? Why all the hype and all the ba,ba,ba, junk. How come there is not a cable out there that doesn't change the sound of your speakers like a (eq) everytime you change wires? I am looking to make my own cables? So what type of meterial can I use that will not alternate the sound of my music and just let music flow thru the wires? Sorry I had to know I have been waiting to ask this question? Thanks N.S.
Old 15th May 2013, 09:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Cerro THHN 6 gauge STRANDED. Try Home Depot or Lowes. Twist the conductors around each other at a rate of about 1 turn every 18" - 24". Use as little solder as possible, better to use no solder (pressure-fit connectors). Was discovered and reported by an audio rag a few years ago. Works pretty well except that the wire is VERY stiff.

Certainly off-topic for this forum.
Old 15th May 2013, 10:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

There is too much hype surrounding speaker wire.
The type of wire makes an extremely small difference, very likely undetectable by normal ears.
I use 13 amp mains cable for mine and have had no ill effects.

A speaker distorts the sound many times more than the cable will.

Last edited by nigelwright7557; 15th May 2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 15th May 2013, 10:16 PM   #4
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Hello All I am not trying to open a can of worms with speaker wires but, I had a few questions? In the past I worked for a speaker cable company as a sales man for a short time I woun't even get into that!). One question was always on my mind? Why all the hype and all the ba,ba,ba, junk. How come there is not a cable out there that doesn't change the sound of your speakers like a (eq) everytime you change wires? I am looking to make my own cables? So what type of meterial can I use that will not alternate the sound of my music and just let music flow thru the wires? Sorry I had to know I have been waiting to ask this question? Thanks N.S.
it's a matter of belief, if you believe you can hear differences, you will....it is also a mater of taste, if you want nice looking things, then that will work for you...finally it is a matter of wallet density, the more awash with cash you are, then the more likely you will fall for these cables....
Old 15th May 2013, 11:34 PM   #5
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Many people say solid core thin gauge wire works better. Cat 5 24 awg strands are perfect for full range drivers as you are not pushing more than 20 to 30 watts tops. I use 22 gauge solid core in 4 conductor shell. Double up if you need more amps.
Old 15th May 2013, 11:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
it's a matter of belief, if you believe you can hear differences, you will....it is also a mater of taste, if you want nice looking things, then that will work for you...finally it is a matter of wallet density, the more awash with cash you are, then the more likely you will fall for these cables....

Yes understand were your coming from its a matter of taste but, were does it end? So much hype around cables thats why I quite reading the streo magazines. The hype with the speaker of the month or what ever. This is why I enjoy diying. Savings me money and I learn something new not everyday but, alot. Thanks for your post it's right on. N.S.
Old 16th May 2013, 02:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes understand were your coming from its a matter of taste but, were does it end?
End?!? End?!? It never "ends."
Old 16th May 2013, 02:25 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have tried many many speaker cables. With my FR systems ending up with single strands of 24g CAT5.

It seems to me that cable is system dependent.

dave
Old 16th May 2013, 03:39 AM   #9
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Yes understand were your coming from its a matter of taste but, were does it end? So much hype around cables thats why I quite reading the streo magazines. The hype with the speaker of the month or what ever. This is why I enjoy diying. Savings me money and I learn something new not everyday but, alot. Thanks for your post it's right on. N.S.
we DIY because we can....
not to save money but to do something without commercial considerations.....
Old 16th May 2013, 07:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
It seems to me that cable is system dependent.
dave
Hi. Indeed it is so. Any cable will have capacitance, resistance and inductance in varying degrees. It will play a part in the amp/speaker circuitry. How big that part is and what it will play will vary from system to system

Regards /Bo

Last edited by danerius; 16th May 2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Typo

Hide this!Advertise here!