Plumbing help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok diy gods -- i need some help --

long story short -- i hae a leak in the ceiling -- found it by cutting some holes. galvanied pipe to copper, massive corrosing -- leak. Piping here is very old, no shutoff valve for that line, so therefore i have no water in the entire house and no heat -- cold night..

Whats the best fix here -- replace the galvanied pipe entirely and resolder a new copper connection? I am not experienced with plumbing but i think this is simple enough for me to take on. I have a butane torch, and a rotozip saw to cut pipe.

here are some pix

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

close up1

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

close up 2 -- how does the copper hooked up to the gal pipe? i know it is gal to reducer to copper - but does the copper solder or is it screw in as well?

tia guys

-chris

Plumbing in an audio group???

Okay, a couple of things here. First, where does the galvanized go? Is it the main feed to the house or is it an end point that connects to something in the house?

If its an end-point, then I'd say replace the entire galvanized run with copper (or plastic, your choice) If its the main feed to the house, then I'd say call a plumber and have them do the work. (hate to say it, but that's the way I'd approach it)

As to the galvanized to copper connection, if its done right, there are connectors for this that work to reduce the problem you're seeing. It will solder onto the copper and be a screw on, onto the galvanized pipe. Translation, if you're looking to just replace the joint, you'll need some way to cut new threads on the galvanized pipe. (not cheap)

Personally, I'd look at replacing the entire run of galvanized with copper, you'll more than likely find that the galvanized is almost completely blocked with gunk inside.

cheap route:

1. cut back the galv. pipe a foot back and buy a brass sweat coupling....you will need silver solder or sylfoss to braze on the the Galv. pipe

make sure place a valve on to isolate the rest of the system because you will have to drain it

2. expensive route: tear the Galv. pipe right out and replace with copper
The Galv. pipe will have so much crud in it that you will probably want to go this route.

DIRT®

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I believe you are having the problem because of galvanic corrosion..

Call in a plumber..you have code issues as well as long term corrosion issues to contend with..

Sometimes, the right person for the job is another person..I would not undertake that project myself, even though I do a lot of diy plumbing..

Cheers, good luck...John

Nice job! Have you pressure tested it for leaks now? Also, I wouldn't close up the space for a couple of days, just to make sure there's no leaks. (It really sucks to close up a space, and then 2 months later see a wet spot forming where you did the repair) Better safe than sorry.

As to the plumber charging $780, he was probably hoping your parents would say what they did, which was, no thanks. He more than likely assessed the situation and determined it would be more hassle than it was worth, so he threw out a number that would make it worth his while, if they did actually decide to do it.

you may be right on the high price theory -- the first thing he said was, 'this is a tight spot, its going to be hard' .. anyway, yes i am goig to leave the ceilig open for a while -- end of this semester is near and i have many projects/presentations due and no time for drywalling :D

-chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.