Boombox open close switch. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2013, 04:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Boombox open close switch.

I have a boombox Philips AZ-2025,with a defective open close switch that stops it playing,it says open on the front display when the CD lid is closed? Can I short the switch by soldering a bridge across it so that it thinks its closed without it affecting anything else? I cant find a service manual for it let alone a switch.LoL If anyone has any-other ideas how I can go about fixing this I'm all ears!
Old 12th May 2013, 05:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'd guess it uses a leaf switch, and if it isn't bad you've likely got a mechanical failure. You could locate the switch and make a permanent NO or NC fix.
Does that affect anything else? It makes the player think the tray lid is always closed, and everything that goes along with that (e.g. there's much less protection from the laser, so keep eyeballs at a safe distance and angle).
Old 12th May 2013, 06:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I tried to do the same on two units that had the same problem -OPEN or no disc
But it didn't work, so I guessed it was with the logic or control.
I don't know or have any clue if the logic is part of it. Double twist
Old 13th May 2013, 12:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Looks like I will have to put in a toggle switch, I will drill a hole in the top for it but Ill try a solder bridge first.
Old 13th May 2013, 12:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A switch is about the simplest logic device. You may have to pull up/down a controller pin through a resistor.
I've never encountered the problem you describe, but on the face of it the solution appears to be just an interlock defeat. Surely possible, but generally frowned upon for obvious reasons.
Old 13th May 2013, 03:12 AM   #6
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I encounter bad switches in CD transports often enough. Door sensors may be more for boom boxes, but in deck types we use in pro audio - DJ rigs mainly - I might have to fix tray in or out limit switches or home position switch on the pickup, or pickup up or down limit.

SOme are open blade, but there are many forms of very timy microswitches too.

I just had a TASCAM deck that sent the tray out and immediately brought it back in. One of the tray limit switches worked electrically, but the actualtor was just barely making, so often the switch actuator did not get fully pushed. I would up unsoldering the tiny microswitch and putting a thin shim under it to bring it up enough its little plunger would go fully down.

Open blades can get electrically dirty or bent or just break off.

If shorting your switch makes it work, then get your ohm meter on it, and see if you can get the switch to open and close by pushing whatever actualtor it has mechanically. You might be able to fix it similar to my shim. It might be cleanable. And if the switch really is defective, you might find one like it in a dead boom box.
Old 14th May 2013, 06:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ive tried a solder bridge(no go) toggle switch(no go) I would try and fix the actual switch but I cant work out how to get it out without destroying everything? Whats this pull up/down resistor about? My problem is I cant work out why if the contacts are closed it completes the circuit,but it wont work,the spindle turns,the laser can focus, the track number is displayed but it wont start to play? Am I missing something ? Ive pulled this thing apart to see if there is another switch somewhere connected to the lid? When the switch is pressed down it clicks and stays down,click again and it comes up,does anyone know why it wont work with the circuit closed? If I fix the switch its still not going to work right?

Last edited by redrooster; 14th May 2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 14th May 2013, 07:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hmmm... so you've checked that there isn't another switch or phototransistor or?
A pull up/down resistor is just a way to confirm a logic level, e.g. a logic low enable pin with a resistor tied to ground is forced to the low state, instead of maybe just floating indeterminately or what I'll call a soft logic low. The resistor pulls the pin voltage down.
It looks like I've been able to download a Spanish-language service manual for your boombox. I'll try and see what's going on. Hang loose though, I may not get to it until later. It's on the upswing of 2AM here.
Old 14th May 2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Is it a simple on/off switch? or could it be a make and break switch - a SPDT?
Old 14th May 2013, 08:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Expanding on Enzo's question, did you check the switch action? If the switch failed shorted, and the action needs to be open, all your repairs would be for naught as the shorted switch will bypass everything else.
From what I've gathered through tired eyes, it appears the switch may need to be normally open for playback.

Hide this!Advertise here!