Value of modifications shunned by those who don't - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2013, 12:10 PM   #11
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Oh, the paper thing... One way is "paper out", meaning the loose end comes over the top and away from the wall.
Cat owners learn fast that that is *not* a smart option. The rest of you have a choice.

Regarding the topic of the thread, some people like fiddling with stuff and others don't. Of the fiddlers/tweakers, some spend their time modding their cars to get better performance, while others enjoy modding their hifi to get better performance.

Somewhere out there someone is modding his kitchen appliances to get smoother smoothies, more evenly shredded carrots etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrenman View Post
Does it irk them that a DIY'r, by changing out the tonearm wire, counterweight etc will improve the sound of a tone arm to the point where it competes with the much more expensive arms that they had to buy to get that same better wire, counterweight etc?
Does it irk you that a DIYer, by upgrading the bearings, adjusting the blade angles etc can get better smoothies with his cheap Kitchenette doodad, than others do with much more expensive appliances?
Old 11th May 2013, 12:24 PM   #12
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well,

Does it erk you that the other "Guy" has an Ongaku, a porsche/ferrari and doesn't go to work.....has lots of holidays and is married to a model..

Where you can modify your car to be as fast and HIFI as good..but its not an Ongaku and its not a Ferrari and perhaps you have to go to work...
You know more than the other "Guy" (maybe)..

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 11th May 2013, 03:28 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrenman View Post
Not so much on this site but I was just wondering why the people who shun virtually all modifications, no matter how simple, that change the sound for the better, will then turn around and place a high value on any equipment change, no matter how simple, that changes the sound for the better.

Is it simply jelousy? Does it irk them that a DIY'r, by changing out the tonearm wire, counterweight etc will improve the sound of a tone arm to the point where it competes with the much more expensive arms that they had to buy to get that same better wire, counterweight etc?

Is it simply a lack of courage? Are they not strong enough in there belief that they can distinguish between "better" sound or just "different" sound when trying reversible modifications?

Is it a lack of skill? Do they not know how to solder or believe it is beneath them?

Is it a lack of knowledge? Is it difficult to find out that often the biggest difference in performance between the low end and upper end of a particular speaker line lies mostly in the quality of the x over components?

Is it about status? When an individual can finally afford a top end product are DIY's to be shut out, and dismissed, simply because they often elevate less expensive equipment to near the same performance level of what the "cost no object" crowd buys?

Just wondering?
It's got nothing to do with jealousy or any of these other negative emotions you quote.

Every time you change something you have to decide whether it's an improvement or not.

I don't 'tweak' things because I don't know of any economic way to evaluate the changes.

I don't have access to test facilities that reliably permit me to do that.

I'm realistic enough know that a sighted 'listening' test only opens the door to self-deception.

I never buy equipment on the basis of listening. I make my choices based on specification, price and independent review with an evaluation of ergonomics thrown in. Same as a washing machine, fridge or any other white goods.

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to design and build virtually any piece of audio equipment imaginable, so I don't have to get my kicks from tweaking, and you'll probably find that the more generally competent correspondents are the less tweaking they do.

Sound Quality is a vastly overrated criterion. It's pursuit is passť. Anyone can hear reference - quality sound for the cost of a Sansa Clip+ and a pair of Klipsch Image S4 IEMS.
Old 11th May 2013, 06:36 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks Enzo, I can relate to someone being in the "paper out" or "paper in" crowd. I did not boil it down to the fact taht some people have a side that they support and confer with and do not wish to be open to anything from the other side.

I guess I did not make the connection because to me there is no difference between changing out a piece of equipment to improve the sound versus changing out the feet that of that same piece of equipment.

Hide this!Advertise here!