diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   I NEED your help! (mic for PC) (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/235588-i-need-your-help-mic-pc.html)

IcyPRO 7th May 2013 06:36 PM

I NEED your help! (mic for PC)

Hello,

so my name is Icy and I would like to ask if you could help me figure out, how to connect a professional microphone to a PC.
These microphones (Superlux HO 8, Behringer C-1, MXL 440, etc...) are the ones I'm interested in, but they all have XLR connectors - I'm not sure if male or female (probably male).

Now how do I transform this XLR to my PC "Line In" or "Mic" without losing any sound quality?

Every useful help much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

IcyPRO 7th May 2013 08:30 PM

By my research simple XLR female to 1/8-inch cable should work.
Confirm anyone?

Ron E 7th May 2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcyPRO (Post 3482483)
By my research simple XLR female to 1/8-inch cable should work.
Confirm anyone?

You need a preamp with switchable phantom power

M-Audio Audio Buddy
Xenyx UB-502 or 802
Rolls MP13
Blue Icicle

There may be other options but these are probably the most economical

opcom 7th May 2013 11:06 PM

This is enlightening. I heard of phantom power but thought it was passe' and only for old condenser mikes.

I am using an awful "1950's 2-way FM base station" mike for ham radio. Tried an electret but didn't like it, and I don't anyway like using batteries when there are several clean DC rails in the station. 110V, +/-48V, 24V, 12V.
Can anyone direct me to a tutorial on those kind of mikes, all about phantom power, and what is a good high fidelity directional mike?

DUG 8th May 2013 03:01 AM

Mr. Google knows all:

"phantom power schematics" gets results.

ESP Projects Pages - DIY Audio and Electronics

48V Phantom Feed Supply for Microphones

:)

Enzo 8th May 2013 04:48 AM

What exactly will you be using the mic for? I was unsure if you were using the mic for ham radio or if you were using a ham radio mic for something else.

Getting a hifi full range mic is pretty pointless for communications uses. Try running a 100Hz signal into a telephone and nothing will come out at the other end of the line.

If you are making recordings, that is a different matter. And it matters if you are recording human voice speaking or singing, or if you are micing say a guitar amp speaker or an organ Leslie.

Phantom power is alive and well, a good quality mixer would be naked without phantom.

When you say directional, assuming you want the mic to reject sound from the rear and off-axis, look for a "cardioid" pickup pattern.

IcyPRO 8th May 2013 07:33 AM

Ok, so I got my answer before I read this, now I know that these condenser mics require phantom power (around 48V). For that I can "phantom power supply" or "XLR to USB with phantom power".

Both would top up the price of whole "mic for PC" setup by another 40€ - 50€.
Is there a way to resolve this cheaper?

I aim for the best quality mic (it will be for commentaries and voiceovers). I can't deal with some low-end mics for this particular thing. And condenser microphones are the best in audio quality and the "range" you can talk to them (sensitivity around -35dB).

Enzo 8th May 2013 08:01 AM

OK, so you DO need full range sound then.

Always looking for options, if a USB input is OK with you, consider a USB microphone. Here is a selection of them from Musicians Friend.

USB Microphones | Musician's Friend

I would point out that there are excellent dynamic mics out there, many used in broadcast and recording. A dynamic mic removes the need for phantom power.

But for your condenser mics, they do make stand alone phantom power supplies. A small boxs you connect between the mic and the mixer. Presumably the mixer lacks phantom. They start at $20 and go up from there. But for the cost of such an accessory, you can buy a reasonable mic preamp that includes phantom.

For example, $30:
ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp | Musician's Friend

ANother plus of a mic preamp is that you will not have to rely on the computer sound card as a low noise preamp. The mic preamp puts out a line signal. You will have a cleaner signal on your recordings.

Since you are already considering the Behringer C-1, are you aware behringer also make the C-1U? The C-1U is the C-1 with a built in USB output. Costs about $10 more than the plain one.
Behringer C-1U USB Studio Condenser Mic | Musician's Friend

IcyPRO 8th May 2013 09:24 AM

Alright, thank for your reply but I still need more info from you. xD
So there are 3 solutions for me right now:

- condenser microphone (45€) + phantom power supply (25€) + XLR to XLR cable (5€) + XLR to 1/8 inch cable (5€)
[pros: best sound quality, cons: final cost around 80€ or more without shipping - OMG]

- dynamic microphone (45€) + XLR to 1/8 inch cable (5€)
[pros: 50€ is fair price, cons: audio quality is lower and microphone sensitivity is lower which means I have to use it from closer range]

- USB condenser microphone (55€)
[pros: pretty cheap and practical, cons: audio quality is lower too]

So there it is. That's all I found out so far.
Well there is one thing I need to ask you - I found these two interesting Phantom Power Supplies and I wonder how do they work. Please check them out!

HERE
and
HERE

IcyPRO 8th May 2013 09:36 AM

What I'm fearing right now and I'm not sure about this, is that besides Phantom Power Supply I will also need Pre-Amp to make that mic usable for a PC. Is that right? Because by my guess, PPS does't include Pre-Amp.
Is that right?