Newbe - problem with Series Reg Tip 3055 + Z-Diode***HELP**

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Elvee,

thanks to you too!! This is really a interesting alternative. I should have have seen this before :eek: I'm not sure to restart the project from scratch. But the PWM approach is the most effective of course.

:rolleyes:

Maybe I finish one first and then...Do you have an robust design in use since longer time? Since I use the circuit in a vehicle (Heat, vibration some voltage stress)
I didn't build this exact circuit, but earlier in my career I was a designer of automotive electronic function blocks and modules, and I know pretty well the pitfalls and potentials problems associated with this environment.
The circuit as it is is not fully ruggedized, because it doesn't perform a life critical function.
It will be rather robust though: it will survive polarity reversals because of the 100 ohm and because the MOS+diode should blow the fuse safely.
It will survive short voltage spikes, typically 100V for 2ms, and an absolute maximum of ~170V, which is unlikely because of the 2200µ.
It with also withstand an absolute minimum of 20V permanently, and more probably ~35V, since most CMOS circuits avalanche at >30V, and the avalanche is not destructive if it doesn't exceed the dissipation rating of the chip (700mW).
You could add a 15V transil across the 40106 supply and a 30V varistance across the general supply to improve matters further, but it is really optional.

The heat, stress and vibrations are your responsability: you have to choose suitable components and assemble them appropriately (that is true for any implementation).

Note that a linear regulator having to dissipate tens of watts will suffer severely in those conditions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.