Newbe - problem with Series Reg Tip 3055 + Z-Diode***HELP** - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2013, 12:16 PM   #11
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLanz View Post
I did not find a PWM module which is cheap enough.
A non-regulated PWM can be made more cheaply, and almost as simply as a linear regulator.
See example below: you can add as many speed-setting resistors as you want, or even use a potentiometer for maximum flexibility.

All the parts are cheap, common and non-critical.

In addition, it will run cool and require no or minimal heatsinking
Attached Images
File Type: png SimplePWM.png (95.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 7th May 2013, 01:25 PM   #12
FoMoCo is offline FoMoCo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvee View Post
A non-regulated PWM can be made more cheaply, and almost as simply as a linear regulator.
See example below: you can add as many speed-setting resistors as you want, or even use a potentiometer for maximum flexibility.

All the parts are cheap, common and non-critical.

In addition, it will run cool and require no or minimal heatsinking
You might want to add a TVS or zener across the supply of the CD4000 series IC, older CMOS is sensitive and automotive environments are harsh.
Old 7th May 2013, 01:36 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCo View Post
Here's a circuit that will do three speeds and an off, using a 4 pole switch. Adjust the zeners to get the voltages you desire. I have NOT tested this. I just drew it on as a back of the envelope type of circuit.
You might want to insert a 100 ohm, or so resistor in series with the collector of Q2, or tie it directly to the collector of Q1. Otherwise it could die if the output is overloaded. Even if properly fused.
Old 7th May 2013, 01:39 PM   #14
McLanz is offline McLanz  Germany
diyAudio Member

Post Schematics redrawn - correct?

Hi FoMoCo !

thanks alot for your suggestion!

Your picture isn't so sharp - so I've put this schematic togehter. Is it correct ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FoMoCo_Circuit.JPG (81.6 KB, 37 views)
I love high sensitive Fullrange drivers, currently listen with tube amps, NOS DAC, the good old vinyl. I'm optimizing my mains line situation...Located in South/West of Germany. **Love Arts and of course most of all my Family**

Last edited by McLanz; 7th May 2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Updated Circuit with 100Ohms
Old 7th May 2013, 04:30 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLanz View Post
Hi FoMoCo !

thanks alot for your suggestion!

Your picture isn't so sharp - so I've put this schematic togehter. Is it correct ?
It's almost correct. Make sure that 1.8 ohm resistor is 25W or better. The 50W that another poster suggested is good. You can leave it out, but that shifts the heat burden onto the TIP3055. Regardless, the TIP still needs a heatsink.

You can use a switch to switch in different zeners for different speeds and the off position. That's what I tried to show on my circuit but, a digital photo of an envelope isn't so clear.

Also keep in mind when picking zeners that this circuit acts like one big power Zener in series. It subtracts the voltage from the supply. It's not a regulator per say. The resultant output voltage is Vsupply - Vzener - Vbe(2n4401) - Vbe(tip3055). Thus a 6.8V zener gives around 6V out with 13.8V in.

You really don't need the diode across the motor, but it won't hurt either.
Old 7th May 2013, 04:49 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Here's a better schematic. Not all values are shown, LTSpice won't let me name a part that it doesn't have a model for. I also couldn't draw a switch. A 4 position, 1 pole, switch should be in front of the zeners.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Image1.gif (30.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by FoMoCo; 7th May 2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: diyaudio ate my attachment
Old 8th May 2013, 05:38 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Interesting alternative !!!

Hi Elvee,

thanks to you too!! This is really a interesting alternative. I should have have seen this before I'm not sure to restart the project from scratch. But the PWM approach is the most effective of course.

Maybe I finish one first and then...Do you have an robust design in use since longer time? Since I use the circuit in a vehicle (Heat, vibration some voltage stress)

Regards
I love high sensitive Fullrange drivers, currently listen with tube amps, NOS DAC, the good old vinyl. I'm optimizing my mains line situation...Located in South/West of Germany. **Love Arts and of course most of all my Family**
Old 8th May 2013, 05:41 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks !!

Yep' I understand the circuit.

Thanks a lot - FoMoCo!!
Old 8th May 2013, 05:59 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Switching between three different series resistors would work just as well for fan speed control.
Resistors have the bonus of being very resistant to abuse,. Your circuit has to deal with shorts and all of the trash on the car so called 12V system, which means +/-75V transients from the alternator
Old 8th May 2013, 06:40 AM   #20
hpeter is offline hpeter  Europe
diyAudio Member

i donŽt understand why people use linear regulators in hi power circuits ?
we are not in 1970 anymore
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2679.pdf
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!