video editing for computers, a little help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, my dad wants to edit out commercials and generally edit television programs. he's wanted to do this with the family computer for a while - the computer is a 900Mhz Athlon running with a kt133a mobo and 256MB SDR Ram. an 80GB drive will be put into it soon. also, the computer seems to be running slower then it should be.

right now it has a ATI TV-Wonder Value Edition card and a S3 savage2000 video card with TV-out. in anycase i was looking at what i can get him for christmas that would help him to edit video's better.

i found an ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 32mb ddr card. i'm thinking this would be helpful. i think this would be an upgrade to the video card, and maby would have better TV-out capabilities.

i also found an AMD athlonXP 2200 which the mobo should support. this would probably speed up the editing process and general computing as well.

in any case, i have a maximum of $75 for whatever i get. can low noise RCA cables be made for TV-frequencies for a good price. the computer is 20ft or so away from the VCR.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
wintermute said:
What about an Amiga with a video toaster ;) Yeah I know I'll go away now :)

Other than being a bit dates -- i'm guessing 6 or 7 years old, this is a decent analog editing solution.

Alot of the Mac stuff owes a lot to the Video Toaster and has the advantage of being faster and capable of seemlessly editing in the digital realm...which brings up the point -- to do video today a computer needs firewire -- Chris do you have a firewire port -- that is something likely to fit in your budget.

dave

why firewire? the source will be either a TV broadcast (not digital cable) or a VCR output.

i'm expecting quality losses, but my dad has always wanted to do this, so i figure its something that he should be able to do. if he likes it, maby someday we'll get a macintosh and all the digital camera and camcorder equipment.

im thinking of running the TV cable to the computer and maby placing the VCRS in the computer desk somewhere for easy access. we have 3 vcrs total, all made in the 20th century.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
theChris said:
why firewire? the source will be either a TV broadcast (not digital cable) or a VCR output.

OK i see what you mean by editing TV commercials (ie scooping them off the TV and editing them :))

This is where a video toater does a bang up job...

i'm expecting quality losses, but my dad has always wanted to do this, so i figure its something that he should be able to do. if he likes it, maby someday we'll get a macintosh and all the digital camera and camcorder equipment.

I can only encorage that -- dad's gotta have fun.

The Apple eMac has to be the single best computer bargain in the world right now, and with the adition of a digital video camera (and some RAM) is a complete hw/sw solution for entry level video editing. Add some firewire hard drives & Final Cut Pro and you have an entry level serious professional solution (i know guys making real movies with less hardware)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

a few thoughts:

Watch out that the new disk drive is 7200 RPM or better. Your also a bit anemic with memory, even for cuts only edits 512 MB will help.

What software is he using to capture and edit?

RG59 With BNC or RCA connectors would be a good place to start for the video cable. I assume your talking about composite and not RF CH2/3/4 modulation. RG6U quad shield with F connector terminations will work well for either RF or composite. If you’re doing composite video get some F to RCA adapters. The RG6U Quad shield should actualy be cheaper than the RG59, gut its a lot stiffer less pleasant to route.

Look and see if you can send S-video out of the all in wonder to the TV. That will get you the best card to TV interface.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.