Emergency!! Sneaky new internet sales tax going through fast, Call your Representativ - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2013, 12:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default Emergency!! Sneaky new internet sales tax going through fast, Call your Representativ

For those of us that buy or sell anything online and don't want to be
audited by 50 states plus, please take notice to the new internet sales tax
that is going through fast right now!! Spread the word, call your congressman, this will put all small vendors out of business most likely, don't let it happen guys!!
 
Old 24th April 2013, 01:43 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
No internet sales tax!

Also
- no garbage collection from internet sales companies
- no police help when internet sales companies get burgled or defrauded or their staff mugged on the way to work
- no street lighting or tarmac on streets where internet sales companies are
- no government help to encourage good IP rights overseas, as internet sales companies don't believe in IP anyway
etc. etc.

I am not making a political point, but an economic one.
 
Old 24th April 2013, 01:56 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Blog Entries: 1
You're possibly unfamiliar with the American tax system. There are currently over 10,000 different sales tax jurisdictions, each with different regulations (which are often product specific, that is, different rates for different types of products) and each with different places where the tax must be paid. Many have restrictive licensing requirements for retail sales within their jurisdiction which must be complied with in order to be able to pay their tax authorities. An internet seller, no matter the size, would be required to know and comply with each and every one of these, and pay license fees as well. This is not a terrible burden for large internet sellers, who support this legislation for obvious reasons- it creates new barriers to competition from small businesses- but effectively creates an undue burden for the little guy and reduces consumer choice.

Your analogy is poor, I think- Internet companies pay their share of their own local taxes on their profits, and those taxes provide for infrastructure and local government services.
__________________
You might be screaming "No, no, no" and all they hear is "Who wants cake?" Let me tell you something: They all do. They all want cake.- Wilford Brimley
 
Old 24th April 2013, 05:41 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
OK, I stand corrected. We are always told that the US is a haven of capitalism and free enterprise, but I guess bureaucrats and tax officials are the same everywhere.

We have VAT in Europe, which is different for each country, but fortunately there is an exemption for very small businesses.
 
Old 24th April 2013, 08:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
jackinnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Llanddewi Brefi, NJ
I started this on Monday in another thread -- State and Local governments in the U.S. are getting crunched because of the promissary notes they issued to employees in the manner of defined benefit pension plans. With interest rates so low, they can't invest fast enough to fund their future obligations, so they are taxing everything that moves.

There's a big sign at Newark Airport in the International Arrivals area informing people that if they bought something expensive abroad, they are required to pay "use tax" to the State of NJ -- and indeed, for the first time the State of NJ has a line item on the tax return for "use tax" -- if you fill it out incorrectly you are subject to fines and penalties as well as the possibility of criminal prosecution.

Remind me, what did we fight that war over in the late 18th C?
 
Old 24th April 2013, 09:27 PM   #6
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member
 
sonidos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Round Rock, TX
Time to queue up George Harrison's 'Taxman'!!!
 
Old 24th April 2013, 11:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
You're possibly unfamiliar with the American tax system. There are currently over 10,000 different sales tax jurisdictions, each with different regulations (which are often product specific, that is, different rates for different types of products) and each with different places where the tax must be paid. Many have restrictive licensing requirements for retail sales within their jurisdiction which must be complied with in order to be able to pay their tax authorities. An internet seller, no matter the size, would be required to know and comply with each and every one of these, and pay license fees as well. This is not a terrible burden for large internet sellers, who support this legislation for obvious reasons- it creates new barriers to competition from small businesses- but effectively creates an undue burden for the little guy and reduces consumer choice.

Your analogy is poor, I think- Internet companies pay their share of their own local taxes on their profits, and those taxes provide for infrastructure and local government services.
Actually, that's not quite right.

1)Each state wanting to collect the tax would have to provide tax software for the retailer to collect according to the purchaser's zip code, so there are 50 jurisdictions maximum instead of 10,000.

2) Businesses with less than $1 million in out-of-state sales are exempt.

Senate votes 75-22 to advance online sales tax bill - The Hill's Floor Action

In other news, delivery trucks dropping these things off still use roads and other infrastructure, which must be maintained somehow. In-state retailers pay their share, so why keep an exemption for out-of-staters?
 
Old 25th April 2013, 12:03 AM   #8
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ..
Quote:
2) Businesses with less than $1 million in out-of-state sales are exempt.
just how many feet is that of Siltech?
 
Old 25th April 2013, 12:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpfan View Post
For those of us that buy or sell anything online and don't want to be
audited by 50 states plus, please take notice to the new internet sales tax
that is going through fast right now!! Spread the word, call your congressman, this will put all small vendors out of business most likely, don't let it happen guys!!
Ummm.... Joined today, with this as the only post, including a couple of obvious falsehoods & multiple exclamation marks -- does anyone else smell astroturf?
 
Old 25th April 2013, 12:15 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
buzzforb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Burlington, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
I started this on Monday in another thread -- State and Local governments in the U.S. are getting crunched because of the promissary notes they issued to employees in the manner of defined benefit pension plans. With interest rates so low, they can't invest fast enough to fund their future obligations, so they are taxing everything that moves.

There's a big sign at Newark Airport in the International Arrivals area informing people that if they bought something expensive abroad, they are required to pay "use tax" to the State of NJ -- and indeed, for the first time the State of NJ has a line item on the tax return for "use tax" -- if you fill it out incorrectly you are subject to fines and penalties as well as the possibility of criminal prosecution.

Remind me, what did we fight that war over in the late 18th C?
according to many modern politicians, what happened in the 18th century is irrelevant and has no bearing on present day. Dam^ fools.
__________________
...Shape the sound , Man!
 

Closed Thread


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US Internet sales tax scheduled for a vote jackinnj The Lounge 2 22nd April 2013 03:50 PM
Fixing Sneaky Oscillation in P-P Amplifiers wrenchone Tubes / Valves 9 5th January 2013 02:33 PM
mouser USPS International shipping tax samoloko Parts 4 3rd May 2008 08:04 AM
New York trolling for tax revenue? FastEddy Music 0 7th February 2007 04:52 PM
Import tax for electronics in France?? sianturi Everything Else 2 21st September 2004 06:36 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:15 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2