Shipping Magnets by Air

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just came across this, wonder how legal your average speaker shipment is...???
"For air shipment purposes, magnets are considered "dangerous goods" and the International Air Transport Association's (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR) must be followed.
In order for magnets to be shipped by air:
Flux measurements of all packages containing magnets must measure less than 0.00525 gauss 15 feet from the package. (If flux measurements are less than 0.002 gauss measured 7 feet from the package, the package is not considered to contain magnetic material, and hence is not classified as a Dangerous Good. …
Packages containing magnetic materials must be clearly identified according to Packing Instructions 902. This calls for a "Magnetized Material" label to be affixed, and for a Shipper's Declaration of Dangerous Goods to be provided to the carrier.
Personnel responsible for shipping magnets by air are required by the Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) to be trained for that purpose and for those training records to be maintained."

I once asked the EMinence factory if all that concentrated magnetic energy had any effect on the environment. No, not like disorienting the squirrels, but whether it made local compasses deviate, or required any special notation on air navigational charts, or similar. They found that mildly amusing and assured me there was nothing of the sort. They told me what Conrad just said, that the magnetic fields are designed to be contained in the gap for the most part. And they don;t spray all over.

If you get a strong speaker magnet near your CRT computer monitor or TV set, you can see the color distortion from it. But you will also see how quickly it diminishes if you move them a foot or two away.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.