I'd like to improve my electronics skills....any suggestions?? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2013, 04:46 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

There are some good videoes on youtube about soldering through hole and SMD.

I had some trouble with SMPS soic8 ic. I kept blowing it up soldering it in.
In the end I found I needed a temperature controlled iron just warm enough to melt the solder and some liquid flux to help things flow a bit better.

I found it just about impossible to remove ic's with an iron so bought a hot air gun.
Old 9th April 2013, 01:38 PM   #12
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Consider NOT working on stuff you care about.

In fact it might make sense to buy a known junker amp, tube or solid state, and repairing or rebuilding it into something else.

I second "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, the writing is very very easy to follow. Probably the best written electronics book in history.

If you do tubes then you want a copy of the 4th edition of Radiotron Designer's Handbook. It's available as a download pdf too, on Pete Millet's great site (along with a ton of other classic reference books).

So, the way to do this is to work on something that you can afford to have fry and blow up... you NEED a 'scope, a DVM, and a signal generator (or other suitable source of sine and squarwaves). The scope's calibrator signal will be ok for square wave. You can buy a $30 DSS module on epay that does all sorts of frequencies and other tricks now. A bright light over the bench... the 'scope is essential. No scope? Can't really work on audio gear.

_-_-

Hide this!Advertise here!