2.4Ghz pc spectrum analyser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Software spectrum analysers that use the pc sound card for spectrum analysis in the audio band are abound. I am curious if there any 2.4Ghz counterparts ? That is programs that can use the wifi receiver and show a spectrum of that band. Would be quite useful in detecting non-wifi interference from devices like phones, cameras/monitors, etc..
Any out there (free or cost less than $anarmandaleg) ?

yeah I am aware of that app. And there many pc programs like that - for example inSSIDer. But what I am looking for is an "RF Spectrum Analyzer" program which is not limited to just SSIDs on fixed wifi channels but everything in the 2.4Ghz band.

2.4GHz presents some problems. You could however build something with some effort.

Home-made spectrum analyzers are usually built around oscilloscopes. A VFO is used to provide an LO which is mixed with the incoming signal, the output of which is fed to a simple detector. A broadband amplifier for the incoming signal is constructed more readily these days since the arrival of MMICs such as the (now old) MAR6, good to 2 GHz or the SCA-1, good to 3GHz. These will enable reasonable power to be delivered to a monolithic diode mixer or other type such as the LT5512.

The sawtooth driving the VFO is used to track the trace across the screen in the horizontal direction while the output from the detector drives the Y-axis.

A PC based oscilloscope might be adapted for this application.

Mini-circuits is a good place to see a range of MMICs and mixers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.