2.4Ghz pc spectrum analyser - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else
Home Forums Rules Articles The diyAudio Store Gallery Blogs Donations FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2013, 06:36 PM  
percy is offline percy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 2.4Ghz pc spectrum analyser

Software spectrum analysers that use the pc sound card for spectrum analysis in the audio band are abound. I am curious if there any 2.4Ghz counterparts ? That is programs that can use the wifi receiver and show a spectrum of that band. Would be quite useful in detecting non-wifi interference from devices like phones, cameras/monitors, etc..
Any out there (free or cost less than $anarmandaleg) ?

Old 31st March 2013, 07:19 PM  
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I remember seeing a lot of wifi based analyzers when I was searching for the RF range used by wireless mics.

Will have to look again.

Old 1st April 2013, 06:10 PM  
diyAudio Member

I have a free wifi analyzer on my Android phone. I am sure that there are versions for other popular smartphone platforms.

Old 1st April 2013, 06:36 PM  
percy is offline percy  United States
diyAudio Member

yeah I am aware of that app. And there many pc programs like that - for example inSSIDer. But what I am looking for is an "RF Spectrum Analyzer" program which is not limited to just SSIDs on fixed wifi channels but everything in the 2.4Ghz band.

Old 1st April 2013, 08:34 PM  
diyAudio Member

2.4GHz presents some problems. You could however build something with some effort.

Home-made spectrum analyzers are usually built around oscilloscopes. A VFO is used to provide an LO which is mixed with the incoming signal, the output of which is fed to a simple detector. A broadband amplifier for the incoming signal is constructed more readily these days since the arrival of MMICs such as the (now old) MAR6, good to 2 GHz or the SCA-1, good to 3GHz. These will enable reasonable power to be delivered to a monolithic diode mixer or other type such as the LT5512.

The sawtooth driving the VFO is used to track the trace across the screen in the horizontal direction while the output from the detector drives the Y-axis.

A PC based oscilloscope might be adapted for this application.

Mini-circuits is a good place to see a range of MMICs and mixers.

Hide this!Advertise here!