Is TV creativity extinguished?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some weeks ago, I saw in a local cable TV, a series inspired in the Sherlock Holmes character, but he doesn't use smoking pipe (doesn't smoke at all) doesn't use the classic hat, the companion is a woman in place of Watson, etc etc.

The series is called Elementary. Couldn't the authors do any from new, from zero in place of distort severely the original?

This is my opinion only.

As the number of TV channels increases, so the pool of genuine talent to fill them shrinks. The advertising revenue (which funds TV in most countries) has to be spread ever more thinly, so the budget for each programme has to become too small to hire talented people for drama etc. So we get endless game shows, 'reality' shows and repeats.

Then you also have the modern need to be 'inclusive', so any TV has to include all minority groups however unlikely or historically inaccurate this is.

At least here we have the BBC, but that is not what it was. Money is less of a problem, but 'political correctness' is a greater problem.

Having said that, we had an excellent docu-drama last night about Richard Feynman's contribution to the Challenger inquiry.

Agree, well said DF96, hence the rise of "reality TV" inane TV wall-paper, welcome to the Matrix, why go anywhere, look at the world or think when you can fill your soul with degenerate soap operas and loopy people acting natural in front of a camera....then talk about it on facebook!!!
Phew:)
That from a cartoon fan, Beevis and Buthead, Family Guy, Ren and Stimpy, Futurama Sponge Bob, quality TV:D and Sir David attenborough on Discovery, sublime TV and quite hypnotic plus BBC 4.

As the number of TV channels increases, so the pool of genuine talent to fill them shrinks. The advertising revenue (which funds TV in most countries) has to be spread ever more thinly, so the budget for each program has to become too small to hire talented people for drama etc. So we get endless game shows, 'reality' shows and repeats.

Then you also have the modern need to be 'inclusive', so any TV has to include all minority groups however unlikely or historically inaccurate this is.

At least here we have the BBC, but that is not what it was. Money is less of a problem, but 'political correctness' is a greater problem.

Having said that, we had an excellent docu-drama last night about Richard Feynman's contribution to the Challenger inquiry.

Agree, well said DF96, hence the rise of "reality TV" inane TV wall-paper, welcome to the Matrix, why go anywhere, look at the world or think when you can fill your soul with degenerate soap operas and loopy people acting natural in front of a camera....then talk about it on facebook!!!
Phew:)
That from a cartoon fan, Beevis and Buthead, Family Guy, Ren and Stimpy, Futurama Sponge Bob, quality TV:D and Sir David attenborough on Discovery, sublime TV and quite hypnotic plus BBC 4.

well we can unfortunately blame the viewers for even the demise of the BBC IMO. the fact that they have cancelled 'the hour'... some of the best TV I have seen in many years; because numbers dropped off in the second series (when the second was at least as good as the first) says it all... that was a superb show that had it all IMO, eye candy, high production values, plot plot plot, well developed characters, a setting that drew from real events and politics (organized crime, police and political corruption in the cold war era), murder/intrigue, excellent dry/cutting wit, intelligent dialogue and edge of your seat excitement...

for them to just cut the series on a cliffhanger, when the main character's (the infectious Freddie) life is in the balance after a Mob beating..murder? and a love story are unfulfilled... that made me very angry, it will be replaced with more chewing gum for the eyes... maybe yet another high budget Hoyt-toyty period piece?

or maybe the Americans will buy the rights and turn it into a white bread, stylized, Americanized, homogenized, photogenic version without everything that made it great ... puke

Last edited:
I was thinking other example. Some time ago, I went cinema to see the film about the 3 Stooges,,some of the preferred from my infancy. The characters are well matched, but the argument is very poor. Contrarily, the All Gore's Incredible Truth, has a good argument and gives me a great satisfaction. And no copy from another old film.

yes I much prefer the drug addled Sherlock as well, even the English modern remake, hell even the American movie remakes were passable, but I agree this latest one is atrocious and has nothing to do with the character, aside from being a possible high functioning savant. the new Watson to round out 2 of the preferred minority groups is weak/pathetic and so, so unfortunately....predictable.

flat out mindless psychopathic violence and meaningless sex is kosher, but anything that makes the public think about the reality of the world, every day taboo and bleak humanity (not the parody that is reality TV) is neutered...

A remake of the Barry McKenzie films (true classics) would be interesting in todays creative atmosphere.
There have been some gems over the years, recently SKYs dramatization of three Terry Prachett books and a re-make of Treasure Island show that TV can produce good content.

I strongly dislike TV, in fact no more than 15 min at a week. I prefer MP3 or music. But I didn't see any of the title you wrote.

Anther example more. SCI series has ridiculous arguments. For example, in one of them (Don't remember which of the variety that exists, but one in which the actor is red haired, and one of the assistant has a long blonde hair, she usually wear high heels where there is a grass or mud floor. Also uses hair down with the possibility of contaminate the site under investigation. Sincerely RIDICULOUS.

I strongly dislike TV, in fact no more than 15 min at a week

Now you are making perfect sense. People with diverse interests, who rarely watch TV, aren't really the target audience. That would be people who watch 2 to 3 hours of TV every evening, between 8:00 PM and 11:00 PM, Monday thru Friday. That audience is grouped by age range and gender in what are called "demographics", the favorite being 18 to 34 years old. To attract those people to watch a program many aspects have to be observed. One of the current trends is the presence of strong female characters, so women will be interested in watching it with theirs boyfriends or husbands. That explains why, in your example, Watson is a woman.
The fact that you don't like TV is, in my view, a good thing. Kudos!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.