Is TV creativity extinguished?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is easy to complain about "reality" TV and other low-brow programs, but if the public didn't absolutely LOVE watching it, it would go away tomorrow and something else would take its place. If your band is playing night clubs, and all the crowd wants to hear is dance music, how long would you last if you insisted in playing your Tribute to Les McCann and Eddie Harris, or your Celine Dione medley?

yep, for sure, but that doesnt bring any relief, I dont care who is to blame and its a large, distasteful melting pot of responsibility anyway.

i'm waiting to see what travesty is made of Cleaver Greene from RAKE; an excellent Australian Law Drama/black comedy since it was bought by HBO or some **** and they arent using Richard Roxburgh, he MAKES the show and he is just such an excellent, appalling, intelligent and strangely warming/human Australian character. make sure you have a taste for irony though, or you simply wont get it. He was/is a respected Australian stage and screen actor as well; some parts in the UK as well afaik. great supporting cast (including Gary McDonald) and characters too, none of whom afaik are in the US version either...

edit: ah whoops, nope just clips, they only had 2 weeks stored at a time and they are long gone.

if you get a chance I highly recommend this (Australian version) show. I hardly watch commercial telly these days, not so much telly at all, but I do still like to be entertained; this was one of those programs you make sure you arent doing anything.

Last edited:
And what about Dr House'e arrogance ?

I liked to watch musical programs like Carlos Giachetti's Folcrorísimo, or music festivals like Jesús María (Córdoba, Argentina) or Cosquín (Both of them based on Argentine folkloric music), but actually no one air (only Cable)TV channels transmit them.

Last edited:
And what about Dr House'e arrogance ?

what about it? hes actually a very good comedic actor and stage actor, but again it just sort of became a caricature of itself

I liked to watch musical programs like Carlos Giachetti's Folcrorísimo, or music festivals like Jesús María (Córdoba, Argentina) or Cosquín (Both of them based on Argentine folkloric music), but actually no one air (only Cable)TV channels transmit them.

yeah look i'm afraid i'm just not that cultured ;)

Well, it is good to know that creativity is near to zero only in Argentina. It appears that around the world, is ocurring something like it.

Well Osvaldo, many, many programs seen in Mexico are produced in Argentina.
My wife loves elgourmet channel. What about the Mexican Telenovelas. UFFF they are sold in many countries around the world (even Russia),

I think it´s very creative to make hundreds of TELENOVELAS on the same subject (stupidity) and be succesful every time.:D:joker:

well if you check back at abc.net later this year perhaps it sounds like series 3 of RAKE will be on iView, seriously, I dunno maybe its an aquired taste the humor, but I dont think so, some of the poltics wont make sense but no doubt the humanity will be familiar all the same. definitely some of the best Australian TV in many years so possibly worth a look on that fact alone if it interests you. (particularly series 2 as the characters are more developed, but good to see it develop too)

there is of course a feeling of watching a horrible, funny, utterly flawed carcrash of a character, which is slap-stick in its own way, but not the type of laurel and hardy. very black humor and i'll give an obscene language warning ;)

Last edited:
I havn't read everything, but may years ago (1993) there was a program made called Videos, vigilantes & voyeurism which had some interesting views on the future of video based entertainment.
Enzo, these shows are cheap TV, dont cost a lot to make etc, what did we watch before they started poluting our airwaves...
Better slow down before I go on one regarding todays society, think of my views as similar to the late great Bill Hicks, but with more cynicism.

One more point, I am lucky that I have enough going on in my life that I only have time left to pick the odd programs I want to watch, and even then they are usually recorded as TV viewing is secondary to almost evrything else I do. Whan I was younger and single I did 9 years without owning a TV!

Indubitably, old series was better. I remember the old Mission Impossible, very creative arguments. Also, a series called The Professionals, the main actor was an old with white hair, I don't remember his name. It was said that the arguments war written by students of theater. Also, many old The Three Stooges, with Moe, Larry, Curly or Shemp. Shemp makes me laugh with only his face. And I'm 43, and I saw some of the chapters about 10-12 times, or perhaps more, still make me laugh. I saw them in the special channel at Youtube.

Respect to Mexican "novelas", are similar to Argentine and Colombians; a triangle of love, and girls in tears and a war poor-rich (wo)men. I hate them also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.