Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2013, 06:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Old Sony MHC 1600 display problems

Hello,

I have an old sony MHC 1600 stereo system that seems to be working fine with the exception of the Display on the main componet assy. Does anyone know where I could find a service manual? I know it is an old obsolete system, but I would like to fix it, if it something simple.

Thanks,
Old 16th March 2013, 10:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
If you have 4V A/C on the filament and -28V or more on most of the pins, the display has probably failed. Manual is here;
SONY HCD-H1600 Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics
Hope that helps.
Old 17th March 2013, 02:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you. I will have to open it up this week and see if I can verify the filament. The display does light up faintly after about 15 minutes of operation. I suspected it was the problem. It is probably impossible to find a replacement new. Is there some boneyard somewhere for old audio/video systems (like a junk yard for cars or planes) on-line or otherwise that might have something like that?
Old 19th March 2013, 04:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If the display lights up after some time, check power supply for charred pcb, broken solder, faulty component, and other ageing problems.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 7th December 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
MarkF is offline MarkF  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have had with two MHC-1600 this problems with the same cause: The display-IC needs 32V which is made with a Villarde-cascade from 20V AC. C278 - 47u/50V - is the first cap in this cascade. It was defective on both motherboards. Bacuse the voltage across the cap is around 53V a 50V-type is "programmed" to fail, so for replacement a 63V-type is recommended.

Hide this!Advertise here!