brushed aluminum finish, how to? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2003, 06:55 AM   #1
power is offline power  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default brushed aluminum finish, how to?

We'll see if this post works. I have timesaved aluminum parts before but the results do vary with some parts having flaws such as slight rolling of the edges, etc. What other methods are there to "grain" the parts with the same if not better results. There must be a way
Old 25th November 2003, 07:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
I think it's done with a belt sander.

Tim
Old 25th November 2003, 08:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Pbassred
I once did a "machined" finish (circles) using a 1" wire brush atachment with an electric drill. You need to watch it on brass because it tarnishes so quickly. You could get the brushed finish with the edge of a wire brush disk.
Old 25th November 2003, 12:27 PM   #4
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

You could use a belt sander but if you wander at all it ruins the effect. I found if you make a jig with some 1x1 screwed to a panel of 3/4" board that traps your sanding block from wandering left or right, you can then pass the sand paper back an forth over your face plate to get the nice finish.

Anthony
Old 25th November 2003, 01:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I'm using 6" belt sander with 100 or 120 grid belts. Depending on the tension on a belt you will get more or less of the rolling of the edges. To wet the surface I'm using Varsol (or paint thinner) with very good results.

If you really want to avoid rolling of edges, the best approach would be making part longer and after sanding, trimming it off.

It's hard to get perfectly uniform finish on a belt, so after that I'm using Sotch Brite pads to further smooth the surface. Depending how long you do that, the finish can become really nice and pro looking.

Recently I started using Alodine at home and I'm getting fast and satisfying results, without having to wait 2 weeks for anodizing house to finish my panels.

I recently acquired Mark Levinson top cover door from their top of the line CD transport, and to my surprise their sanding job (done on a belt) was inferior to mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg br.jpg (62.1 KB, 1304 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th November 2003, 07:09 PM   #6
power is offline power  Canada
diyAudio Member

the problem i see by doing the sanding manually with a belt sander is that if your workpiece is wider than the belt it would be difficult no to leave steps. Scotch brite may take it out but if you are doing several parts consistancy comes into play.

I have seen another process where acid is used to create the brushed finish. Very professional but also very expensive.

Beautiful looking work Peter!
Old 25th November 2003, 07:09 PM   #7
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
I recently found that using a random orbit palm sander, with 80, 100, then 220 grit paper works great for taking out scratches in aluminum panels, then using a kitchen type brillo pad works great to give it that brushed look. I like using the kind with the sponge attached, as it allows for a more uniform pressure on the metal. The brillo pad easily takes up the scratches left from the 220 grit paper on the sander. I got the advice on the brillo pads from the machine shop guy here at school. That is what they use before anodizing aluminum panels. Before I used synthetic steel wool, but had problems with a non-uniform finish.

--
Brian
Old 25th November 2003, 07:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Try dragging a coarse hand-file sideways in the direction of the brushing. Takes more time than power tools, but you have much more control. I like to use a palm sander to get most of the surface, then drag my file to finish the "brushed" effect. A sanding block can work, but the softness of the block can really make for uneven corner radii.

:)ensen.
Old 25th November 2003, 08:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
You can make a block out of soft wood, like cedar.

I use belt sander as it is faster and deep scratches are easily removed. But I've herd from some memvers that using coarse scotch brite type pads works very well too.

Professional finishers use this type of wheel and as far as I know it's done manually. This leaves short lines (different than from belt sander).

We had Amp-1 finished this way, but I still wasn't much satisfied with the quality of a job. After first inspection 30% had to be redone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg san.jpg (27.5 KB, 1145 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th November 2003, 08:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jewilson
Default If youy don't have the tools

You can check you one of your local machine shops. The have large belt and drumb sanders, up to 36" wide. Just tell them you want a brushed finish using either 120 or 150 grit. Besure to tell them which way you want the grain runing.

Hide this!Advertise here!