Possibly the stupidest question ever but... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

OK Jim, I have removed you from moderation so you can post directly now.

If you are interested in SQ you have to be careful using PA drivers. Some are really good but you pay handily for them. Personally I like PA drivers as they tend to exhibit good transients and are very rugged. Others are not as enamoured with them and they have their own set of reasons. If you are after HiFi type drivers I will have to ask that others step in here as I am a bit of a hack and I'm thinking others might be in a better position to get you headed the right way. Let's see what happens.

If you go HiFi, them maybe the idea of a powered woofer(s) and some smaller towers might be in order.
Old 12th March 2013, 06:23 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Why thank you Cal. Thanks for a kind and easy into here too, you have definitely done your part for making this accessible and feeding the addiction!
Old 14th March 2013, 02:49 PM   #13
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Jim,
I am wondering if you might want to start a new thread with a different title. This one might not attract the info you need. You can always do that and put a link to it back here in this thread.
Old 14th March 2013, 03:23 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

That's a great point, Thanks Cal. However, before I start posting more dumb questions I'm sure I can find the answers to if i knew where to look, I've got some research to do. I hate being the new guy asking questions he should be able to find the answer to. Any good sites explaining home amplifiers, signal cables and different source units in depth would be helpful if you can think of any off the top of your head!

Also, besides parts-express and madisound (the only 2 I know of ) where do you buy equipment?
Old 14th March 2013, 06:31 PM   #15
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Creative Sound Solutions, Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic, dollar stores, 2nd hand stores, repair shops, Q components, Canuck Audio Mart, Government of Canada surplus, Craigslist, planet10, friends, neighbours, dumpster diving, hand me downs, you know - all the regular places.
Old 14th March 2013, 06:58 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I guess I should have noticed the flag in your avatar eh?
Old 14th March 2013, 07:08 PM   #17
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

As far as sources for info goes, I'm not sure where to start. There are so many that you could choose from. If you know what piece you want to acquire first, start there by Googling. Look at reviews and other similar items. There's lot of forums dedicated to the end user rather than diy. diyAudio is a great place for the build side of things.

Hide this!Advertise here!