Your chance to help build the ultimate home theatre / listening room - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2013, 11:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Your chance to help build the ultimate home theatre / listening room

Shortly I am looking to purchase some acreage and build a house of my own design on it. Instead of trying to make the purpose fit the room in some off the plan design, I should be in the position to make the room fit the purpose.

To that end I am looking to build the ultimate home theatre / listening room. What I would like from the forum is suggestions on what you would and wouldn’t do to build this ultimate room. Pen hasn’t touched paper yet so this is a completely blank slate to start with.

Please keep all suggestions sensible, but not so limited that it affects the overall result. Below are some considerations that need to be taken into account:

Screen size will be around 130” - 150” diagonal (3.3m - 3.81m) with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Front L+R speakers will be open baffle and need to sit outside of viewing area.
Subs are likely to be a couple of 18” TC Sounds Pro 5100 or LMS Ultra 5400
Contemplating building a separate room behind screen as an enclosure for the subs.
Screen bottom would be around 2” off floor to allow subs to sit under it.
Considering a recess in the wall with door to house audio equipment / amps so as to not interfere with the room.

Ok so go for it… sloping roof / floor, curved walls, go nuts but please keep it sensible.
Old 10th March 2013, 03:04 AM   #2
Johno is offline Johno  Australia
diyAudio Member

I live on acres and my neighbours are beef cattle. I can crank the stereo up and listen to my music while I am pushing the lawn mower around the formal garden.

Its harder however when I am on the ride-on because I always wear ear protection.

But the main "thing" with acreage is that there is always stuff to do outside, the HT will end up the least used room in the house. IMO anyway.
Old 10th March 2013, 10:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

At the moment I am looking at a block that is 1.25 acres (5000sqm) so it wont be overly hard to maintain, but I do take your point there will always be something to do for the first few years.

I have drawn up a rough draft of the first floor, and where the home theatre will be located. I have alloted 6 meters wide by 10 meters long, 2.5-3 meters of that length would be used for the sub enclosure.

Also thinking I would be better off putting the sub room at the rear instead of the front. That way I can distribute the L-C-R a bit better.
Old 14th March 2013, 09:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

No one has an opinion on what their ultimate room would look like?
Old 14th March 2013, 07:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default BUILD THE BIGGEST SUB WOOFER OIN THE WORLD

Hi:
Here you go:
THE BIGGEST HORN SUB OF THE WORLD by Roberto Delle Curti ITALY www.royaldevice.com
or this one , See post on Concrete IB Speaker 5 Jan 2013 at 4:14 AM
Hope this helps.
Ed
Old 14th March 2013, 07:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi:
Here is the info for the Concrete IB Subwoofer Concrete IB subwoofer

Use ROYAL DEVICE by Roberto Delle Curti Hi-Efficiency Loudspeakers Audiophile speaker systems High fidelity systems Sistemi di altoparlanti hi-end HiFi ed Alta Efficienza Lautsprecher Diffusori acustici stereo Enceintes acoustiques for the one in Italy

Sorry for the confusion.

Ed
Old 14th March 2013, 11:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks eds65gto I had seen both of those websites before. My first thought was to put a sub underground, but then for convenience I decided against that.
I can’t work out how to use Hornresp properly so I thought I would just settle for a big box in the form of another room, but I was thinking about sloping the floor in the media room, so perhaps if I can work out how to use Hornresp a bit better I could use the slope of the floor to create the flare of the horn.

What has been going through my thoughts is if I make the sub box out of another room, I will be putting a lot of low frequency stress into the first floor walls a of two story house. Perhaps building the sub under the first floor might be more stable.

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 14th March 2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 15th March 2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Speed is offline Speed  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Cardas website has several articles on room dimensions and speaker placement suited to room shape. There are suggestions for spaces when you have complete architectural freedom.

Cardas Room Setup Guide

The section seems intended for music but there might be some application in HT.
Old 15th March 2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Speed is offline Speed  Canada
diyAudio Member

Also some HT room treatment considerations here:

Building a Home Theater and Listening Room
Old 16th March 2013, 12:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks Speed I will be trying to stay around the golden rule, but that is obviously designed with just sound in mind and not visuals, so it may not be possible to put thing exactly where I would like them to go, but there is a lot of freedom when building from scratch.

In the offshoot thread Underground Sub to design just the sub part of the system, the room keeps on changing, so at the very end I will try keep the golden rule once I have a final design.

Hide this!Advertise here!