Anyone collect vintage Portable CRT TV's ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone collect vintage CRT portable TV's ?
I started to collect vintage portable color tv's.
I usually get them for free, rescue from garbage or pay very little for them.

Managed to save this one from the garbage. Brought it home, cleaned it up, plugged it in and works like new ! It has a few scratches here and there but nothing too visible. Love the fake woodgrain.lol
It is made in Singapore in 1987.
Anyone have any info on it ?
Model number is: Hitachi CT-1367
Hitachi Remote CLU-190
VIDEO:
http://youtu.be/Mc3Nfq8S3-g

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Just picked up this rare little thing today for free.
The original owner was gonna toss it out in the trash.
Here's my vintage 1979 Panasonic CT-778 Quintrix 2 Portable color tv with 7" screen.
Works like new.
Made in Japan.
Manufactured January 1979
Solid State
13 Channels VHF, 82 Channels UHF
a/c to d/c adapter included
weight 15 pounds
10" high, 8 1/2" wide, 12 1/2" long.

Here's some pictures and a video.

video ---- 1979 Panasonic CT-778 Quintrix II Color Portable TV - YouTube

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

I bought a little 9" B&W at Sears back in the 1960s. It was my faithful little thing for a very long time. Sat in my shop next to my scope, kept me company. SOmeone broke in and stole it.

But now that they have forced DTV upon us, my TVs no longer receive anything, so tired old ones have hit the heap. SAve the power cord, maybe the screws, the tiny speaker might be useful...

In the USA, all NTSC broadcasts went off the air some long time ago. Now broadcast is all DTV. (I think there are a very few small local NTSC stations on air in certain special circumstances) If I connected my cable feed to the set, it would work, or a VCR. But to put up an antenna, I;d get nothing.

I used to be an avid TV DXer, but no more.

My best score was one afternoon long ago I picked up three FLorida stations coming in very well, on rabbit ears, here in Michigan. About 45 minutes of that, and they disappeared back into the noise.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Anyone remember the Regonda starlet..
(Used as a ZX81 monitor..LMAO..well it was in my bedroom)

They did a little six inch B&W as well...:D....:cubehead:

Analogue also gone...Yes also a TV DXer..in the distant past.. Harlick TV, Granada..with TV aerial amps in the loft..switchable outside aerials<<<sad I know but interesting (I was quite young). see what you could see through the snow on the screen.:D..wooosh swishhh...sound on vision...vision on sound...and loss of horizontal hold...the wind would blow and the ghosts would slide to the side of the pictures...:D..the attempt at the motorised aerial support...that only worked in fine weather...and would act like a weathervane in the wind..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
You do find nice condition stuff, Rob. That Sears TV looks oh so '70s, though condition suggests it just came out of the box.

I don't understand the problems with DTV reception. We have two TVs here; one is NTSC, with an outdoor antenna (no mast, just tied to a horizontal tree branch:)) and ran through a preamp and ATSC>NTSC converter box. The other is an ATSC flatscreen using rabbit ears. A couple dozen channels are received on either set.

I think all three (NBC, CBS, ABC) stations have telenovela sub-channels, and there's a handful of others (Mexican soccer, game shows, etc.). They know their market demographic I guess. The Fox station runs a 24/7 country music video channel. But there are plenty of other channels showing new and old programming. When I watch, it's more along the lines of sports or Get Smart, or Chef Ramsey on a quality assurance tirade.

Well you are fortunate to have that option, but it only exists near the border. There are not NTSC broadcasts in the USA any longer. The old bandwidth is being carved up for other uses. That is also why certain frequency bands that we used to use for wireless microphones are no longer legally used. If you have an old one that works, and nothing is using that channel in your area, you probably will never have an issue, but it would still be illegal.

Back in the NTSC days, our PBS station KLRN had some of the best reception. With ATSC, it is one of the worst for my location. Now, though, it does broadcast 4 channels of programming.
I've used rabbit ears in an RV around the country and had pretty good results picking up HD stations. In fact, it seemed that usually the local PBS station was among the strongest signals. Makes me wonder if the reception here now is a little too strong.

if you are a collector of vintage TV-sets, don't throw away your good or bad old VCR;
they not only have RF input but also a RF output terminal which carries NTSC (or PAL);
and what if the tape mechanism is broken ? well, connect the VCR to a DTV set-top box or a DTV-set thru SCART cable et voilà, you have a DTV-to-NTSC converter.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I use a Philips CTX-E 15" FST variant (15CT2309/05W) daily. It will be around 28 years old now and apart from the Ni-Cad back up battery and the usual dries, has never had a component fault. I replaced the Ni-Cad with a lithium coin cell 15 ? years ago and never looked back. Its set up and converged to perfection and the CRT is still excellent, as good as new.

I still have the original remote and the original AAA batteries which have a use by date of September 1986. They still work it perfectly. No leakage either.

These days, in our digital only world, the TV receives its analogue RF signal from the small modulator (at the bottom) which is powered from the DVD recorder (via a modified scart feed) that puts 12 volts down an unused lead.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 94
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.