Anyone collect vintage Portable CRT TV's ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2013, 03:27 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

There may still be a good use for these old televisions.
TV fish tank
Old 11th May 2013, 02:04 AM   #22
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Not to belabor it, but 75 ohm or 300 ohm is just a balun away from being the other.
Old 15th May 2013, 09:18 PM   #23
Robcrx is offline Robcrx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello, well heres an update.
After 2 weeks of waiting the Kawasaki KS-23 Power cord arrived.
Plugged the TV in and it fired right up !
The vertical hold was messed up, so i adjusted that along with contrast and brightness.
I waited 30 minutes to adjust them.

Anyways, I made a little video of the set.

cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIAl...ature=youtu.be

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th May 2013, 05:48 PM   #24
LAJ is offline LAJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I've had good luck...

converting sets with RF input ONLY to video monitors. You need the schematic,of course. The limitation comes in the type power supply the set uses. Does it use a "HOT" ground? Otherwise you have to use an isolation transformer.
Old 26th May 2013, 08:24 PM   #25
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the original 12" black-and-white "solid-state" Heathkit my father built in 1967. I haven't plugged it in in about ten years, every time I do I'm afraid the power supply electrolytics are going to explode.
Old 16th June 2013, 06:21 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I have the original 12" black-and-white "solid-state" Heathkit my father built in 1967. I haven't plugged it in in about ten years, every time I do I'm afraid the power supply electrolytics are going to explode.
Post pics of that !
Old 17th June 2013, 12:41 PM   #27
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Nice thread

I don't collect them myself, but i'm enjoying the memories.

I vividly remember seeing my 1st SONY Trinitron TV, & being knocked out by how fantastic the pictures were, compared to Any other TV i'd seen @ the time. This was in or around 1969/70 ish @ a girls parents house. It was on one of the kitchen units.

My 1st impression with it switched off, was how high tech & modern it looked, as All other TV's looked old fashioned to me. She turned it on for me & just stood there in amazement @ the clarity & detail ! I'm not too sure of the model, but it was a colour portable with i'd say between 12" - 14" screen. I tried to find an image on the www & i think it was sorta like the one in my screenie. Even though i think that's a B&W one.

Anyway after that i encouraged Everyone i knew for Years & Years to buy SONY TV's, & nobody ever regretted it. When i left home i had to wait a couple of years before i could afford my 1st SONY 25" & what a day that was I've bought several over the years & still have a later 25" model that works just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: png sony2.png (34.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 17th June 2013, 12:54 PM   #28
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Nothing came close to the Sony CRT with its Trinitron technology. The secret to its success was the use of an "aperture grill" with large vertical slots rather than the shadowmask and its "pinholes" that other tubes used, something which gave brighter sharper pictures. If you look closely at a Sony displaying a bright picture you can see the fine support wires holding the grill in place, something keen eyed customers occasionally reported as a fault.

Even today, a good Sony CRT set with standard "Freeview" (UK digital TV service) gives many so called HD LCD/Plasma sets a good run for their money.

Only downside is the bulk and weight.
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:13 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Default Vintage TVs

How about this old set? The Story........My father working as a beat cop in the sixties happened across this set haphazardly sitting in the bushes nearby a "mall" of stores........thinking it was stolen, he perused/interviewed the nearby stores for the particular TV..........as it turns out nobody "claimed" stolen or otherwise. As this was the sixties & "things were different then" a bit of finders keepers came into play.
We used this all-tube set for decades, a prominent item in our household for years on end & my growing up. Being declared "portable" was a bit of a stretch as the thing probably weighed fifty pounds being tube powered & all.
My guess is my Mom still has the old thing somewhere....she doesn't throw anything "out". Last I saw it running the picture was very dim....here's hoping she didn't sell it in one of her few Garage sales.

__________________________________________________ ____Rick.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GE TV.jpg (38.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:15 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

^^ Looks like a Geberal Electric Portacolor.

Hide this!Advertise here!