Anyone collect vintage Portable CRT TV's ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2013, 05:27 AM   #11
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

American stations?
Old 2nd May 2013, 05:29 AM   #12
Robcrx is offline Robcrx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
American stations?
Probably Mexican.
Canada has no analog.
Old 2nd May 2013, 05:58 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I think all three (NBC, CBS, ABC) stations have telenovela sub-channels, and there's a handful of others (Mexican soccer, game shows, etc.). They know their market demographic I guess. The Fox station runs a 24/7 country music video channel. But there are plenty of other channels showing new and old programming. When I watch, it's more along the lines of sports or Get Smart, or Chef Ramsey on a quality assurance tirade.
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:20 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Well you are fortunate to have that option, but it only exists near the border. There are not NTSC broadcasts in the USA any longer. The old bandwidth is being carved up for other uses. That is also why certain frequency bands that we used to use for wireless microphones are no longer legally used. If you have an old one that works, and nothing is using that channel in your area, you probably will never have an issue, but it would still be illegal.
Old 3rd May 2013, 01:18 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Back in the NTSC days, our PBS station KLRN had some of the best reception. With ATSC, it is one of the worst for my location. Now, though, it does broadcast 4 channels of programming.
I've used rabbit ears in an RV around the country and had pretty good results picking up HD stations. In fact, it seemed that usually the local PBS station was among the strongest signals. Makes me wonder if the reception here now is a little too strong.
Old 8th May 2013, 09:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

if you are a collector of vintage TV-sets, don't throw away your good or bad old VCR;
they not only have RF input but also a RF output terminal which carries NTSC (or PAL);
and what if the tape mechanism is broken ? well, connect the VCR to a DTV set-top box or a DTV-set thru SCART cable et voilą, you have a DTV-to-NTSC converter.
Old 8th May 2013, 09:17 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Some of my vintage sets have RF inputs, some dont.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:01 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

The RF input being the antenna connector, what sort of TV doesn;t have one?
Old 9th May 2013, 07:51 PM   #19
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I use a Philips CTX-E 15" FST variant (15CT2309/05W) daily. It will be around 28 years old now and apart from the Ni-Cad back up battery and the usual dries, has never had a component fault. I replaced the Ni-Cad with a lithium coin cell 15 ? years ago and never looked back. Its set up and converged to perfection and the CRT is still excellent, as good as new.

I still have the original remote and the original AAA batteries which have a use by date of September 1986. They still work it perfectly. No leakage either.

These days, in our digital only world, the TV receives its analogue RF signal from the small modulator (at the bottom) which is powered from the DVD recorder (via a modified scart feed) that puts 12 volts down an unused lead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (53.2 KB, 83 views)
Old 10th May 2013, 02:58 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
The RF input being the antenna connector, what sort of TV doesn;t have one?
I was talking about the direct 75ohm coaxial input.

Hide this!Advertise here!