Anyone collect vintage Portable CRT TV's ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, well heres an update.
After 2 weeks of waiting the Kawasaki KS-23 Power cord arrived.
Plugged the TV in and it fired right up !
The vertical hold was messed up, so i adjusted that along with contrast and brightness.
I waited 30 minutes to adjust them.

Anyways, I made a little video of the set.

cheers. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIAlR8uYucQ&feature=youtu.be

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nice thread :)

I don't collect them myself, but i'm enjoying the memories.

I vividly remember seeing my 1st SONY Trinitron TV, & being knocked out by how fantastic the pictures were, compared to Any other TV i'd seen @ the time. This was in or around 1969/70 ish @ a girls parents house. It was on one of the kitchen units.

My 1st impression with it switched off, was how high tech & modern it looked, as All other TV's looked old fashioned to me. She turned it on for me & just stood there in amazement @ the clarity & detail ! I'm not too sure of the model, but it was a colour portable with i'd say between 12" - 14" screen. I tried to find an image on the www & i think it was sorta like the one in my screenie. Even though i think that's a B&W one.

Anyway after that i encouraged Everyone i knew for Years & Years to buy SONY TV's, & nobody ever regretted it. When i left home i had to wait a couple of years before i could afford my 1st SONY 25" & what a day that was :) I've bought several over the years & still have a later 25" model that works just fine.

Attachments

• sony2.png
    sony2.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 97
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Nothing came close to the Sony CRT with its Trinitron technology. The secret to its success was the use of an "aperture grill" with large vertical slots rather than the shadowmask and its "pinholes" that other tubes used, something which gave brighter sharper pictures. If you look closely at a Sony displaying a bright picture you can see the fine support wires holding the grill in place, something keen eyed customers occasionally reported as a fault.

Even today, a good Sony CRT set with standard "Freeview" (UK digital TV service) gives many so called HD LCD/Plasma sets a good run for their money.

Only downside is the bulk and weight.

Vintage TVs

How about this old set? The Story........My father working as a beat cop in the sixties happened across this set haphazardly sitting in the bushes nearby a "mall" of stores........thinking it was stolen, he perused/interviewed the nearby stores for the particular TV..........as it turns out nobody "claimed" stolen or otherwise. As this was the sixties & "things were different then" a bit of finders keepers came into play.
We used this all-tube set for decades, a prominent item in our household for years on end & my growing up. Being declared "portable" was a bit of a stretch as the thing probably weighed fifty pounds being tube powered & all.
My guess is my Mom still has the old thing somewhere....she doesn't throw anything "out". Last I saw it running the picture was very dim....here's hoping she didn't sell it in one of her few Garage sales.

______________________________________________________Rick.........

Attachments

• GE TV.jpg
    GE TV.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 94
Yeah, that's the one...a simple search turned up an image....I still know exactly what it looked like....as it was in the household for so very long. Note the "handle" on the top...it "telescopes" out with two industrial looking SS? rods....for your weight-lifting pleasure. Another 'era' appliance she has (Among others) is a circa 1966 Sony TC-200 "tapecorder"........a play on the word 'taperecorder'....also hybrid tube powered W/built-in detachable speakers......I can still recall how the Christmas music tapes sounded. The tube 'warm-up' still appeals to me...That's why I'm building my 12B4 PSE amp.....It's that connection some have to our past.........In our room 'addition' where I'm typing right now, I'd love to have that old set.....set-up in the corner...over there.
But I'd have to bring down the cabling that's going to my sons room & fanagle it down here....for "cable'..........no tweaking of Rabbit-ears anymore.

_____________________________________________________Rick......

I know for sure the Sony is pre-68 as my folks recorded the Apollo 8 Christmas "address" of 68...they got it a little before that.......she still has tapes of my giggling while being recorded....that would put me at about Nine years old then.
She still has the Sony for sure, last I saw it was in 84 when I was in school....I opened it up briefly to discover..Tubes!
It had the typical dried out cap hum....
The GE set was about the same time 66-68.

___________________________________________________Rick.........

Was driving near my area today and what do I see ? A VINTAGE TV ON THE CURB !
Why do people throw these vintage sets out when they still work ! :nono:
Their loss, my gain :)
Anyways, heres some pics.
Anyone have info on it ? I think it is from 1973
It is Made in Japan.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Heres my latest find: 1976 Toshiba Blackstripe 13" Color TV

Managed to grab this FREE 1976 Toshiba Blackstripe 13" Color TV off someone getting rid of it on craigslist.
I called 2 times, no answer. Called a 3rd time and got a hold of the person.
They said they were going to throw it away for recycling or give it to Goodwill,
but then listed it on craigslist to see if someone wanted it.
Anyways, I went to go see it and to my amazement, the thing is near mint !
It looks like it was hardly used ! The picture on it is still great too !
Here's a few pics :)

Picked up this vintage 1983 Magnasonic model MBT 200 B&W TV at an estate sale today for a measily $2. Works and looks like new. Not even 1 scratch on cabinet !
Doesnt seem like it was used much. It is a very clean set.
Made in Korea.
The cabinet has a yellow tinge to it with marbleized swirls in it.
Is that bakelite ?
I cant find any info on it. Is it a 10" screen size ?

Picked up this Panasonic TR-201C B&W TV at an estate sale today.
Works perfect and the case is in near mint condition too.
Afrer a quick polish and clean, looks like new ! :yes:
It's made in Korea.
I'm surprised back then Panasonic made TV's in Korea.
I guess to save cost, the black and whites were made there ?

some pics

Picked this Rare Sharp 2U-121C B&W Vacuum Tube TV up for free, untested. Gave it a cleaning, polishing. It is in real nice condition, no cracks or faults on the case. I believe this was made in late 1960's to early 1970's ?? made in Japan.
I cant find any info on it. I peeked inside and noticed it is a tube hybrid set ?
I turned it on, and volume works but no picture, adjusted brightness and nothing. I looked inside and the tubes are on. Any ideas ?

Some pics

First up is a vintage 1981 Electrohome Model C55-131 Color TV.
Got it for $5 bucks at an estate sale. Work perfect.
It's manufactured by Samsung.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.