Ed Dell RIP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2013, 02:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Friends,

Just got word that Ed Dell, the man who started Audio Amateur, Glass Audio, Speaker Builder and later AudioXpress died earlier this week. Ed just turned 90 two weeks ago.
Another loss for the diy community. Ed probably did more for the audio hobby then anybody else.
I had the privelige to meet him a few times, last a few years ago when I interviewed him.

jan

See also Ed Dell and the Audio "Amateur"
Old 28th February 2013, 02:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Jan,
That is a shame may he rest in peace. Had he given the publications over to others and will they continue on. I haven't read one of those magazines for many years now but do use the Loudspeaker Source Book. I would be hard pressed to replace that material.
Old 28th February 2013, 02:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

RIP
Old 28th February 2013, 02:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Rest in peace, Ed Dell. I have every issue of the Audio Amateur and Audio EXpress here in my apartment, and I still find them useful.
Old 28th February 2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry to hear that. I had been an AA subscriber since the 70's.

Dave.
Old 28th February 2013, 03:09 PM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Not only did Ed inspire and entertain me (as well as publish me), he was inadvertently responsible for one of my most treasured friendships. I have no words adequate to honor the memory of a man who has enriched my life so much.
Old 28th February 2013, 04:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Rest in peace Mr. Dell.

You have left us but you, your contributions and your legacy will not be forgotten anytime soon.

Matt
Old 28th February 2013, 04:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ed was foremost a communicator, in everything he did.
Before starting Audio Amateur he was editor of The Episcopalian, a religious publication. Before that he was a minister, working the poor neighborhoods of Boston. He was deeply religious and at one time mentioned to me that in his view the Church had such a joyous message about our saviour, but that they made an absolute mess about communication the good news to the people!

jan
Old 28th February 2013, 05:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

This is very sad news indeed. Ed was a wonderful friend and a pioneering contributor to the audio/diy world as we know it. He was a great cheerleader for all of us, for about 40 years. Ed will be dearly missed, and I will think of him and his legacy every time I open a copy of AudioXpress.

In mourning his passing, we can also celebrate his wonderful life.
Old 28th February 2013, 05:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ed' s Audio Amatuer, Speaker Builder, and Glass audio were where I learn' t
the most about audio and what was inside of a speaker, preamp, and power amp. A great loss to all..

Hide this!Advertise here!