diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Stereo with 3 speakers, is there such a thing? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/230987-stereo-3-speakers-there-such-thing.html)

markusA 27th February 2013 09:38 PM

Stereo with 3 speakers, is there such a thing?

Does it exist or am I just dreaming stuff up?

I'm thinking about some sort of electronic thing/filter/mixer/dsp...
that takes all the information common to both L/R channels and channels it to a center channel and leaving only the distinctly different audio for the L/R speakers.

DUG 27th February 2013 10:31 PM

"...information common to both L/R channels and channels it to a center channel ..."

This is what they do for the subwoofer signal. (only with a low pass filter)

But if you do that with other frequency bands you are effectively reducing your stereo separation.

Most people don't want that.

kouiky 27th February 2013 10:34 PM

I had the schematic to build a pseudo center channel processor and I'm sure you can find a few online as they are very useful for wide spread speaker placement in large rooms. Meridian also offered true 3 channel reproduction for the Trifield format that sadly never gained ground.

markusA 27th February 2013 10:40 PM

I just thought it would be an interesting experiment. Lol
Removing shared music information would put less demand on the L/R speakers possibly allowing for smaller units and such.
Just toying with the idea. :)

JMFahey 27th February 2013 10:50 PM

Something roughly similar is made to transmit a "Stereo but mono compatible" FM signal.
The main signal has L+R info, and an auxiliary subcarrier has the *L/R difference* signal.
So a simple receiver listens to it as "Mono" and a more complex stereo receiver can decode the stereo one, both from the same FM channel .
Otherwise you would need 2 channels which is expensive and inefficient.

wwenze 28th February 2013 11:20 PM

Actually you know what, come to think of it stereo expanders already exist.

mr2racer 28th February 2013 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Vintage amps often had instructions on how to wire in a center channel speaker. Below is an example. But you should know if there is a hole in the center of your STEREO image there is something else wrong.

Richard Ellis 28th February 2013 11:58 PM

When Paul Klipsch developed his Klipschorn he also developed a special "matching" center channel loudspeaker, the Belle...if I'm not mistaken. I do not know why but my theory is....since the Klipschorn only functions in a corner....more than likely the horns were put on the long side of rectangular rooms, leaving a "hole" in the center(Too wide a placement) So he built the Belle for the center.

__________________________________________________ ____Rick.........