Stereo with 3 speakers, is there such a thing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does it exist or am I just dreaming stuff up?

I'm thinking about some sort of electronic thing/filter/mixer/dsp...
that takes all the information common to both L/R channels and channels it to a center channel and leaving only the distinctly different audio for the L/R speakers.

"...information common to both L/R channels and channels it to a center channel ..."

This is what they do for the subwoofer signal. (only with a low pass filter)

But if you do that with other frequency bands you are effectively reducing your stereo separation.

Most people don't want that.

I had the schematic to build a pseudo center channel processor and I'm sure you can find a few online as they are very useful for wide spread speaker placement in large rooms. Meridian also offered true 3 channel reproduction for the Trifield format that sadly never gained ground.

Last edited:
Something roughly similar is made to transmit a "Stereo but mono compatible" FM signal.
The main signal has L+R info, and an auxiliary subcarrier has the *L/R difference* signal.
So a simple receiver listens to it as "Mono" and a more complex stereo receiver can decode the stereo one, both from the same FM channel .
Otherwise you would need 2 channels which is expensive and inefficient.

Vintage amps often had instructions on how to wire in a center channel speaker. Below is an example. But you should know if there is a hole in the center of your STEREO image there is something else wrong.

Attachments

• Audio system with  center speaker.JPG
    Audio system with center speaker.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 59
When Paul Klipsch developed his Klipschorn he also developed a special "matching" center channel loudspeaker, the Belle...if I'm not mistaken. I do not know why but my theory is....since the Klipschorn only functions in a corner....more than likely the horns were put on the long side of rectangular rooms, leaving a "hole" in the center(Too wide a placement) So he built the Belle for the center.

______________________________________________________Rick.........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.