Bybees - best to use where?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BobM said:
I almost wish I hadn't started this thread. I found several other inquiries on Bybees on various forum's and they all immediately degenerated into Peter Belt - like discussions of unexplainable science vs hooey.

Unfortunately I only got one, possibly two, answers from people who have actually tried these and experimented with them. Fortunately I did receive some private correspondence with engineers who have a VERY good reputation in the industry and say that something is definitely happening here. This includes measured differences, and not any real explaination for them other than the Bybees were in or out of the circuit.

Some people frown on real or imagined differences with botique parts. Fortunately there are some very talended and experienced people who design and voice equipment using these same parts and are willing to share that experience with nothing to gain except exposure. I want to thank them for their time and willingness to vocalize their opinions in the face of much opposition.

Enjoy,
Bob
Hi Bob,
Yes it actually amuses me how loud the opinions are of those who have not tried QP devices, and the range of justifications for such ignorant stance - and all without ever having used any.

Eric.

simply put...it's SNAKEOIL

Snake oil is everywhere, not only in audio. So if snake oils make people happy, let it be. It is a property of snake oil that it is good for everything. Since no one comes up with something really explainable or verifiable the answer to Bob’s original question is: You can put is everywhere where good and bad electrons are involved as far as I understand the explanations so far. If you only deal with good electrons it is of no use, same if there are only bad electrons in your system.

For me, there are so many snake oils around the world that I can not try them all in my lifetime and do not have the money for it. I select only those that have a realistic chance for succes or have a well established reputation before I spend my money on them

Cheers ;)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The only correct way of finding out if it works is a scientific approach. If those devices are used "for the passive sonar systems of the U.S. Navy’s atomic submarine fleet" there must have been a lot of research involved.
Now, Mr. Bybee must has been researching the devices when he was working for the navy so why shouldn’t we?
I'm not a physicist and certainly know nothing about quantum physics but at least I searched the net to find something. Although I don’t care if such devices improve sound or not (don’t have good enough ears) it would be interesting to know the scientific truth. If we can’t find that answer we will always be divided in two camps: the believers vs. the non-believers, which leads nowhere.

/Hugo

It's tough when SE is around to misunderstand what I was saying.
Physically, this is what you SEE! A really good metal film .02 ohm resistor, surrounded by what appears to be a ceramic form. BUT, it is not just a ceramic form. It has a layer of 'something' on its surface, AND it has silver endcaps that connect to this surface and the resistor leads. DUH! Maybe, just maybe, it is more than it looks like.

john curl said:
It's tough when SE is around to misunderstand what I was saying.
Physically, this is what you SEE! A really good metal film .02 ohm resistor, surrounded by what appears to be a ceramic form. BUT, it is not just a ceramic form. It has a layer of 'something' on its surface, AND it has silver endcaps that connect to this surface and the resistor leads.

By the way, here's what you had said:

Chang, the devices are a fabricated hollow cylinder of ceramic material with metal end caps. Inside the cylinder is passed a metal film resistor that is attached to the metal end-caps that has a value of .02 ohms. The resistor leads are the outside connection. Even if you took them apart, you could not know more that what I just stated, unless you are working in a physics lab.

No mention of any layer of "something" on its surface or of the end caps connected to said "something" on its surface. And despite all the talk of superconductors on Bybee's website, neither the ceramic nor this "something" seem to be conductive to any degree at all as you also said the thing measures 0.02 ohms, the same value as the resistor.

I can only understand what you actually say, John. I'm not a psychic.

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

No mention of any layer of "something" on its surface or of the end caps connected to said "something" on its surface. And despite all the talk of superconductors on Bybee's website, neither the ceramic nor this "something" seem to be conductive to any degree at all as you also said the thing measures 0.02 ohms, the same value as the resistor.

If the device measures 0.02 ohm how can there be a superconductor involved in // with the resistor?

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.