Wav playback problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been using a PC server in my workshop for some time to store my favourite CD's as .wav files for playback in various parts of the house.
Until recently it has worked both remotely by SMB & Http, and locally through the server's sound card.

As I was strting to run out of disk space, I decided to migrate the files to a larger drive.
After that, the remote (streamed) playback was ok, but the local playback became stuttery.
I checked the drive using the maufacturers utility, and it tested fine.
Next, I moved the files back to the original drive; guess what.. the problem still happened!

Thinking it may have got damaged, I re-installed the operationg system (W2K), to no avail.

I can copy a file to the C: drive and play that fine.
I can also install the drive as primary slave and it's fine. But fitted anywhere else, the problem occurs.
That led me to believe that maybe the secondary IDE controller had got damaged... So I installed a RAID card and plugged the single drive in there...same!

I've tried bothe BIOS default (max & safe), DMA on / off...

Banging my head against the wall now. Have got another motherboard, but it's the upheaval....

Any ideas gratefully received and tried..

Edit: Apart from the defauly W2K background services, the only extra's are Apache32 and support for a SCSI card for the CDROM. The fault occurs with both disabled.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.