A little bit of nostalgia.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default A little bit of nostalgia....

Recently, I checked the contents of a box that had followed me unopened during house moves for more than thirty years.

I had the surprise of rediscovering a tester I had designed and built more than 35 years ago, when I was an enthusiastic but penniless 16 yo. teenager.

I plugged it in, not too hopeful, but miracle: the thing woke up, albeit with some difficulty at first, and made the familiar noises.
I tried it on a transistor, and bingo! it was still working after more than 30yrs inactivity!

This tester was capable of automatically identifying the pinout of any transistor, its polarity, material Ge or Si, and even gave a quality indication level (useful mainly for Ge transistors).

Due to my very scarce resources at the time, it was built mainly with salvaged parts from old TV sets and from unidentified rejects grab-bags sold by weight in Tottenham court road and Edgware road.
I even rewound the relays (all are different!) and the mains transformer myself.

The case is made of two cigarillo's boxes glued together, courtesy of a chain-smoker neighbor, and the front panel is also the lid of a transparent cigar box.
It is miraculous to have found this remnant of the past intact: practically all my other projects from that time (and there were many) have been lent and lost, given, recycled or dispersed in some way.

Here is the thing in action:
DIY automatic transistor tester - YouTube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AutoTest1.jpg (84.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg AutoTest2.jpg (64.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Elvee; 28th January 2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 07:57 AM   #2
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Nice! Love the noise it makes. Relays clicking away as it tries different combinations to work out which lead is what??

I can relate to scrounging bits from old TV's. I used to do the same A friend and I would go on pilgrimages to the local tip to see what we could find.

Tony.
Old 28th January 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
Nice! Love the noise it makes. Relays clicking away as it tries different combinations to work out which lead is what??
Yes, precisely

Hide this!Advertise here!