diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Mod's: I want to know ... (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/228539-mods-i-want-know.html)

Osvaldo de Banfield 24th January 2013 11:40 AM

Mod's: I want to know ...

1) if to paste a photo from a page of a book is illegal as I believe;
2) if to paste a screenshot of a book from "google books" also is;
3) how to add a short video (say 30") to a thread, or where and how.

Many thanks in advance.

SY 24th January 2013 12:43 PM

You'll want to read up on "Fair Use," which governs the use of excerpts from copyrighted material. It's a vague concept to engineering types (so lawyers love it).

I'd post the video at YouTube and link it here.

Hope this helps!

Osvaldo de Banfield 24th January 2013 12:59 PM

OK, my dear, I'll want for other opinions before making those thinks.

Mooly 24th January 2013 01:54 PM

You can attach a video directly to a post by putting it in a zipped folder but it suffers from having to be compressed to fit within the 0.976mb forum limit.

Here's two,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid...ml#post3277146

post #24

and,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digit...ml#post3296233

post #1

Utube is probably the best option for anything more ambitious though as mentioned by SY.

Osvaldo de Banfield 24th January 2013 03:17 PM

Mooly, and which is your opinion about pasting images from google books?

Mooly 24th January 2013 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Osvaldo de Banfield (Post 3340305)
Mooly, and which is your opinion about pasting images from google books?

It's not permitted as it infringes copyright.

If you scroll down the google books page you will find a "clicky" that details terms and conditions from the publisher of the book you are viewing. Simply, it says that no material from the book may be copied and used by any means.

Osvaldo de Banfield 25th January 2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooly (Post 3340450)

If you scroll down the google books page you will find a "clicky" that details terms and conditions from the publisher of the book you are viewing. Simply, it says that no material from the book may be copied and used by any means.

OK, many thanks to both.

ghettosynth 30th January 2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooly (Post 3340450)

In point of fact, it's not permitted because it's not permitted. I'm cool with that so please don't take this post as argumentative. I fully understand and support that sites like this want to stay a good distance away from any potential copyright issue. However, IANAL, but, such use may or may not violate copyright. Just because the copyright holder asserts terms and conditions does not mean that a fair use defense does not apply. It may violate the agreement of the web site, but that's a contractual issue, not a copyright issue.

Fair use is an often misunderstood idea. Simply:

Quote:

U.S. copyright law contains a provision that allows limited use of copyrighted works without the permission of the owner for certain teaching and research purposes.
More details here.

The Copyright Site

When/if fair use applies, it means precisely that permission to use what is copyright is not necessary and that no actual copyright infringement has occurred.

That said, I'm not sure that the courts view public discussion on a forum such as this either as "teaching" or "research." I also know that in my own research we go to great lengths to either get permission or recreate (fact based) figures and cite our sources. The point being, I wouldn't rely on fair use as a defense unless I was getting advice from an attorney. The only reason that I bring this up is that, as an information worker, I have an interest in promoting understanding of intellectual property issues.

Best,
gs

SY 30th January 2013 05:26 PM

TBH, we have no wish to expend our non-existent funds defending ourselves, even if we're in the right. As the law reads today, you're basically guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Osvaldo de Banfield 30th January 2013 05:34 PM

Well, then, suppose I want to demonstrate a guy that he was taking about yet exist in the 70 decade and I only have to demonstrate, a book containing almost 3 circuits. How can I solve this question? The book is made in Argentina. Also I would want to demonstrate what I was saying to the entire thread, in place of sending a PM.