ICL7136 thermometer, LED display - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 08:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ICL7136 thermometer, LED display

I have an ICL7136 3½-digit a/d converter chip and I would like use it as a thermometer. The datasheet features a suitable circuit for measuring temperature with a diode-connected npn transistor.

The problem is that the ICL7136 features outputs for driving a 3½-character lcd screen, while I would like to use two or three 7-segment led displays (common anode) for displaying the temperature. Intersil's application note mentions that the IC outputs ~3.5V(rms) AC for driving the lcd.

Would it be possible to use three ULN2803 Darlington transistor arrays to drive led displays with this chip, like in the schematic?

Attachment #1 shows the circuit I drew with Eagle. It still needs a power supply and another three current-limit resistor networks...
Attached Images
File Type: png schematic.png (48.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: png Screenshot-2.png (98.9 KB, 120 views)
File Type: png Screenshot-1.png (119.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: png ULN2803.png (25.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 24th January 2013, 03:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The signals driving the LCD are multiplexed aound the BP output and your design will not work.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 24th January 2013, 08:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmphadte View Post
The signals driving the LCD are multiplexed aound the BP output and your design will not work.

Gajanan Phadte
Thanks for your reply. I have realized that it might be very troublesome to interface an led display with lcd drive circuitry. I need to get an lcd display to use with this chip or use another a/d-converter/display driver IC that has 7-segment led output.
Old 25th January 2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

If you can accept a display that is not very bright, there is a possibility: you can drive directly LEDs at low current.

To do that, you need a high brightness LED display, one that gives acceptable luminosity at 1mA, a common cathode one, you dimension the segment resistors to give 3 mA and you buffer the BP common with a PNP emitter follower to drive the common cathode.
The peak current in the segment will be ~2mA, due to the internal resistance of the drivers, and the average current will be half of that due to the LCD type drive, but it will work, I have already used such a configuration.
Old 25th January 2013, 10:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvee View Post
If you can accept a display that is not very bright, there is a possibility: you can drive directly LEDs at low current.

To do that, you need a high brightness LED display, one that gives acceptable luminosity at 1mA, a common cathode one, you dimension the segment resistors to give 3 mA and you buffer the BP common with a PNP emitter follower to drive the common cathode.
The peak current in the segment will be ~2mA, due to the internal resistance of the drivers, and the average current will be half of that due to the LCD type drive, but it will work, I have already used such a configuration.
Thanks for your tip!
Old 30th January 2013, 04:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Use ICL7107

Gajanan Phadte
Old 30th January 2013, 04:43 AM   #7
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_sv/elfa...oc=0&q=icl7107 buy it from ELFA.
Old 30th January 2013, 03:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I assembled the circuit on a breadboard. I used a 2N2907A transistor to buffer the 'BP' pin to drive the led displays. I experimented with a 2N2222A signal transistor and also with an MJ15003 power transistors for sensing the temperature. It works very well, although the display segments are quite dim (as expected).
So I may need to try if the display segments could be buffered with some transistors for increased brightness. Or just get the chip which has led segment drivers built-in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg imgp3428_v1.jpeg (693.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpeg imgp3429_v1.jpeg (753.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpeg imgp3432_v1.jpeg (592.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 30th January 2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1030180 View Post
Or just get the chip which has led segment drivers built-in.
That's the sensible solution if your display is not bright enough to your taste: adding 23 buffers is not reasonable, unless you have no other choice.
Note that some modern displays can be quite bright with only 1mA average current; yours look like standard-brightness types.

Even a 7107 will not be that much brighter: 8mA instead of 1 looks like a lot, but the eye response is logarithmic, and the BP strobing also increases somewhat the perceived brightness.
Old 13th May 2014, 12:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

So how accurate is this thermometer? I would like to make a simple one with 1-2 degrees accuracy to monitor transformer temperature. Would this design be good for my requirement? Or are there any other simpler alternatives that might do just as well?

Hide this!Advertise here!