PLEASE HELP receiver overheat problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2003, 01:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PLEASE HELP receiver overheat problem

I bought a JVC rx-dv3 receiver and when I powered it up, it said "overheat". So, I replaced the fan, and it works for about 4 hours, but the new fan does not turn on and it will still overheat. How do I fix this? I dont want to take it to a service center because its 45$ and 2 weeks just for them to LOOK at it.
Old 15th November 2003, 04:35 AM   #2
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
I Would say that the Thermal Circuit is not working that or the Thermister is Dead.

I would poke around in the amplifier and start searching for power starting from the fan PSu PART. that or put a switch on the back to turn the fan onn and off : O)

4 hours is weird. Humm must be class d or something right ?
Old 16th November 2003, 04:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hmmm, well how would I go about putting a switch for the fan? Right now the fan is hooked up to this little plastic clip and plugged into a board. I'm not really familiar with the interior of receivers. But the fan is rated at 12V and i think .16mA or something like that. If you could tell me how to hook the fan up to a switch, that would be GREAT. I'm not sure about the amplifier class either, but yeah, I watched a 3 hour movie, then switched to another one, and it turned off like 45 minutes in. As for now, I put a freezerpack on a towel and set it on top and it will run flawlessly, it just looks stupid and the fan should be working anyway. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 16th November 2003, 08:09 PM   #4
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Just watch that no water gets in.

I would look at the traces that leads from the fan connector to the psu part of that fan circuit. and see if you can rob some power from there.

if not Maybe find a 6v Ac wall adapter and put a plug and switch on the back of the receiver to power that fan..
Old 17th November 2003, 12:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

look under the reciever board...probe around for a a small 12V line...might be coming outta a regulator...and rob some power from there..if not...then you can try the transformer...which should have a winding for the electronics on the reciever...rectify the thing and use the power fromn there...either way..the original temperature sensor thingy is gone...

Hide this!Advertise here!