UK - Cabinet Maker quote for speaker enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I'm 'very' new to the forum, but have a keen interest in home-audio, and this site is fueling my mind with far too many ideas!! ;)

I have recently moved house, and I'm looking to build a nice new audio set-up, initially starting stereo, and then moving on to a HT set-up (probably just 5.1).

So, I've found a nice pair of MarkAudio Alpair 6P Gen2's for what appears to be a good price.

Having looked at the MarkAudio web-site, there are several recommended enclosures. As a guide, I've opted for the Golden-Ratio enclosure, and have obtained a quote from a local cabinet maker, as I know my DIY wood-working skills are far from acceptable for something that's going to sit in the sitting room! ;)

I've had one quote back for £48/speaker, using a 19mm panel with oak veneer.

Anyone got any idea if that's good/bad/average?!?

This is just a 'bench-marking' exercise to get an idea of the costs of a professionally made enclosure. I'm going to do plenty more research on which enclosure best suits my needs, before committing to getting them made!

I'm not even sure I'll stick with the Alpair 6P's...... but they seem to get good reviews/recommendations on here :D

Cheers,
Andy

I made these for my Alpair 7.3's

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ma's

Engineered boards, 4mm of solid walnut on all exterior faces with ply then mdf.

Im looking into producing a batch of them at some point. The timber alone cost in excess of £30, and lots of hours of work.

Id be looking in the region of £150 for a pair with binding posts installed. I think the above quote is fair. Will be a veneered mdf speaker though, did he quote for recessing the driver and round the back of the drivers hole and finishing the oak with something to protect it?

Have you stumbled across the Ikea Blanda bowl approach, this one is mine...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/159151-ikea-spherical-speakers-first-build-done.html

The £48/speaker quote did not include a 'finish' on the Oak, which would be £3/speaker extra if he didn't have something in stock to match our existing furniture.

The quote also included recessing the driver, and also a 4mm rad on the back of the driver hole (as per the MarkAudio drawing).

Those Ikea bowl speakers look awesome from a first glance.... will spend a few hours this evening going through the whole thread! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.