diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   How far do you drive to buy parts? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/226607-how-far-do-you-drive-buy-parts.html)

balerit 29th December 2012 05:13 AM

How far do you drive to buy parts?

Whats the furthest that you have had to drive to buy your electronics spares? I was reading another post where the guy complained of driving to the other side of the city to get a resistor, +- 1 hours drive.

freax 29th December 2012 05:32 AM

I don't drive to get my parts anymore, if I can't get it sent to me by post then I simply don't have it.

From France, UK, China, Canada, USA....

I think that would describe 90% of the people on here.

Last time I drove to buy electronic parts was 30 minutes into some of the most hellish traffic you have ever seen, never again! and it was to buy $5 worth of 1N4001's lol

KatieandDad 29th December 2012 07:19 AM

As freax said. About as far as the Post Office.

oz7aff 29th December 2012 07:21 AM

If I realy need it, so far as it is possible to beat the postman.

balerit 29th December 2012 10:18 AM

Well I have literally travelled to every electronics shop in my province, sometimes just for 1 component. These days though I have an electronics shop 10K's away and have become personal friends with the owner who will try and get me anything I want. Now that's what I call service, but sometimes I'll drive 50 odd K's to get something that he doesn't stock (I'm impatient, can't wait a week or two for the postman).

KatieandDad 29th December 2012 10:45 AM

2 weeks for the Postman, here in UK you can guarantee delivery before lunchtime the following day, sometimes even before that.

balerit 29th December 2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieandDad (Post 3302878)
2 weeks for the Postman, here in UK you can guarantee delivery before lunchtime the following day, sometimes even before that.

TIA.

balerit 29th December 2012 10:59 AM

For an arm and a leg we have overnight delivery.

ashok 29th December 2012 11:26 AM

About 10Km now. Will become about 30 Km in the near future.:(
Things are changing in the local shops. One off is becoming far more expensive than earlier. 1/4 watt resistors is min 25 pieces per value. Other good shops it is 100 per value ! Most web shops here are significantly more expensive than the retail shops. As traffic/parking is becoming increasingly difficult to handle, looks like mail order will soon become the preferred route. I just dislike the delays, when I can have it in only a few hours if I go and pick it up.

abraxalito 29th December 2012 11:56 AM

Don\'t drive - takes about 15mins to get to the e-market by cycle. For more exotic parts, I use Taobao and delivery is normally within 3 days.