How far do you drive to buy parts? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2012, 04:27 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Since the really good surplus store moved to the far side of town (1 hr. drive) and the only remaining traditional parts store is also a 1 hour drive in a different direction, I seldom get to either store.
Old 29th December 2012, 04:55 PM   #12
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There is are few, if any, electronics part store where I live, so I go no further than my computer keyboard. Parts Express, Mouser, Digikey, eBay, Markertec, etc. all know me.

We do have a decent computer parts store with very good prices. I like shopping there. It's 4 miles from the house.
Old 29th December 2012, 05:04 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
here in UK you can guarantee delivery before lunchtime the following day, sometimes even before that.
hehe...
It takes 5 days for something to reach australian shores here from the usa, then another week and a half for it to travel 150km up from sydney to my current location.... and thats usps priority mail. $79-150 for medium to large packages.

Don't get me started on how slow postage is from europe! typically 20 days...

You tend to plan your projects a month ahead around here... And your stuffed if you forgot something... another 2 weeks wait, minimum, if its coming from china, 3-4 weeks.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay the outrageous prices that local electronics stores charge, even if I do believe in brick and mortar I also gotta arrange transport, can end up costing me $20 in petrol just to go to 1 shop.

Last edited by freax; 29th December 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 29th December 2012, 05:08 PM   #14
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Other than the occasional hamfest there are no useful electronic parts stores within a reasonable drive of here, not that there are many in general. There is a good electronic supermarket in Manchester, NH: ESS - Home but I've never been as it is a 3 hr round trip..

Everything I use is ordered on line and I order stuff from all over the planet.. (USA/UK/HK/Mainland China in roughly this order)
Old 29th December 2012, 11:09 PM   #15
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I run a repair shop, and I can't imagine running all over for parts. Time costs money. You spend an hour getting a zener, you going to charge that customer $75 for a diode? I might run a half mile down the road to Radio Shack if I need a quick fuse maybe, but I buy fuses in bulk, hopefully reordering before I run out. SO I don't go there often.
Old 30th December 2012, 12:40 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

For specific parts I mail order from the usual suspects. I do drive to hamfests. How far? 1200 miles each way to Dayton and 200 miles to Orlando. It's worth the trip and I will be going to both in 2013.
Old 30th December 2012, 01:08 AM   #17
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I can't even remember the last time I went to a Radio Shack, but we are certainly talking more than 5yrs.. The fact that they never ever have what I need when I need it, and the general lack of even rudimentary technical knowledge in their employees keeps me away..
Old 30th December 2012, 01:53 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Other than the occasional hamfest there are no useful electronic parts stores within a reasonable drive of here, not that there are many in general. There is a good electronic supermarket in Manchester, NH: ESS - Home but I've never been as it is a 3 hr round trip..

Everything I use is ordered on line and I order stuff from all over the planet.. (USA/UK/HK/Mainland China in roughly this order)
There is You Do It Electronics in Needham, MA. 45 mins from my house - I would still rather pay $4.95 shipping from Mouser and wait 5-7 days for delivery.
Old 30th December 2012, 03:14 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Tanner, about 45min away (give or take 15min for traffic)
Old 30th December 2012, 06:08 AM   #20
balerit is offline balerit  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpeter View Post
Tanner, about 45min away (give or take 15min for traffic)
It's the damn traffic that is the killer, excuse the pun. I remember in days gone by when it was the heyday of diy electronics and a 45 minute drive to Joburg to meet people at Hamrads was fun and it was always packed. They used to have all the electronic magazines on a table for one to view projects or look up items you might have on the list that you left at home lol. And customers were always willing to listen to newbie questions and offer help.

Hide this!Advertise here!