How far do you drive to buy parts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't drive to get my parts anymore, if I can't get it sent to me by post then I simply don't have it.

From France, UK, China, Canada, USA....

I think that would describe 90% of the people on here.

Last time I drove to buy electronic parts was 30 minutes into some of the most hellish traffic you have ever seen, never again! and it was to buy $5 worth of 1N4001's lol

Last edited:
Well I have literally travelled to every electronics shop in my province, sometimes just for 1 component. These days though I have an electronics shop 10K's away and have become personal friends with the owner who will try and get me anything I want. Now that's what I call service, but sometimes I'll drive 50 odd K's to get something that he doesn't stock (I'm impatient, can't wait a week or two for the postman).

About 10Km now. Will become about 30 Km in the near future.:(
Things are changing in the local shops. One off is becoming far more expensive than earlier. 1/4 watt resistors is min 25 pieces per value. Other good shops it is 100 per value ! Most web shops here are significantly more expensive than the retail shops. As traffic/parking is becoming increasingly difficult to handle, looks like mail order will soon become the preferred route. I just dislike the delays, when I can have it in only a few hours if I go and pick it up.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There is are few, if any, electronics part store where I live, so I go no further than my computer keyboard. Parts Express, Mouser, Digikey, eBay, Markertec, etc. all know me. :)

We do have a decent computer parts store with very good prices. I like shopping there. It's 4 miles from the house.

here in UK you can guarantee delivery before lunchtime the following day, sometimes even before that.

hehe...
It takes 5 days for something to reach australian shores here from the usa, then another week and a half for it to travel 150km up from sydney to my current location....:eek: and thats usps priority mail. $79-150 for medium to large packages.

Don't get me started on how slow postage is from europe! typically 20 days...

You tend to plan your projects a month ahead around here... And your stuffed if you forgot something... another 2 weeks wait, minimum, if its coming from china, 3-4 weeks.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay the outrageous prices that local electronics stores charge, even if I do believe in brick and mortar I also gotta arrange transport, can end up costing me $20 in petrol just to go to 1 shop.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Other than the occasional hamfest there are no useful electronic parts stores within a reasonable drive of here, not that there are many in general. There is a good electronic supermarket in Manchester, NH: ESS - Home but I've never been as it is a 3 hr round trip..

Everything I use is ordered on line and I order stuff from all over the planet.. (USA/UK/HK/Mainland China in roughly this order)

I run a repair shop, and I can't imagine running all over for parts. Time costs money. You spend an hour getting a zener, you going to charge that customer $75 for a diode? I might run a half mile down the road to Radio Shack if I need a quick fuse maybe, but I buy fuses in bulk, hopefully reordering before I run out. SO I don't go there often.

Other than the occasional hamfest there are no useful electronic parts stores within a reasonable drive of here, not that there are many in general. There is a good electronic supermarket in Manchester, NH: ESS - Home but I've never been as it is a 3 hr round trip..

Everything I use is ordered on line and I order stuff from all over the planet.. (USA/UK/HK/Mainland China in roughly this order)

There is You Do It Electronics in Needham, MA. 45 mins from my house - I would still rather pay $4.95 shipping from Mouser and wait 5-7 days for delivery.

Tanner, about 45min away (give or take 15min for traffic)

It's the damn traffic that is the killer, excuse the pun.:) I remember in days gone by when it was the heyday of diy electronics and a 45 minute drive to Joburg to meet people at Hamrads was fun and it was always packed. They used to have all the electronic magazines on a table for one to view projects or look up items you might have on the list that you left at home lol. And customers were always willing to listen to newbie questions and offer help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.