diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   No more Batteries ! You won't need them anymore. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/226603-no-more-batteries-you-wont-need-them-anymore.html)

ashok 29th December 2012 02:44 AM

No more Batteries ! You won't need them anymore.

Well this may not happen too soon but it is interesting to know that we might be going in the right direction after all ! If true the application should change the way we store and use energy. I think it would also drastically drop our dependence on oil like nothing else probably can . The applications are enormous.

The super supercapacitor. [VIDEO]

Einric 29th December 2012 03:23 AM

I was always intrigued by these types of Supercapacitors.
The only problem was that in order to charge a Car with Supercapacitors charged within a few minutes it would cause a minor brownout in a small housing area.
Now....if you had a whole neighborhood had these cars and they all came home to plug in the car at the end of the day, it would cause a blackout.

The main limiting factor to this in an automotive capacity will be grid power capability.

cbdb 29th December 2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

The main limiting factor to this in an automotive capacity will be grid power capability.
And current carrying capability. (charge a car in a minute? how many thousand amps will that take?)

This video is like a bad ad, all fluff and promises, no data.

ashok 29th December 2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbdb (Post 3302658)
This video is like a bad ad, all fluff and promises, no data.......

He's is just talking about possibilities! The recharge might not even be from a conventional power outlet. Might be some super new 'controlled explosion' that dumps energy in one shot. :D
We need to think out of the box. Impossible ideas become possible if we work on them. They may not be as initially imagined but would work something like that. Super quick charge without problems !

100 years ago cellphones and laptops would have been just ridiculously crazy ideas ! So many impossible yesterday's (!) dreams are reality today. So nothing is impossible......given time !;)

Look at the nano particle field. They haven't even scratched the surface of the possibilities that will evolve based on that ! The future WILL be amazing . Unfortunately we will not be there to see it .........or will we ?

Einric 29th December 2012 04:26 AM

I agree, we will need thousands of amps to charge a car.
This would be redundant 3 phase lines to a single house.
It's not impossible.......just not with today's power grid.
Possibly a Super Super Supercapacitor in the ground under the garage that is charged slowly throughout the day to dump power in a surge to the vehicle.

freax 29th December 2012 04:34 AM

and you guys complain when I turn on my 600VA toroid...

I ain't installing a soft start! I like the thud!

ashok 29th December 2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Einric (Post 3302665)
Possibly a Super Super Supercapacitor in the ground under the garage that is charged slowly throughout the day to dump power in a surge to the vehicle.........

There you go ! :D
Super idea AND probably quite possible ! If you work on this and make it practical you are going to be a trillionaire ! :D

See... we have plenty of guys with super imagination right here in this forum !
Just let your imagination run wild and lets see how many guys can come up with solutions..........here is the chance to come up with the whackiest solutions possible. One might just work well and that all we need !

ashok 29th December 2012 04:47 AM

Here is a link for some interesting info on some new technologies. Amazing !

GlobalSpec: Electronic Device Design

Speedskater 29th December 2012 04:22 PM

Even charging the present electric cars in some affluent neighborhoods is becoming a problem. Everyone buys an electric car as a status symbol, they all arrive home from work and plug their cars in, but the power company didn't wire the neighborhood for that much power. Then the fun begins, deciding who pays for the system upgrade.

Frank Berry 29th December 2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Einric (Post 3302665)
I agree, we will need thousands of amps to charge a car.
This would be redundant 3 phase lines to a single house.
It's not impossible.......just not with today's power grid.
Possibly a Super Super Supercapacitor in the ground under the garage that is charged slowly throughout the day to dump power in a surge to the vehicle.

Do you have any idea how big the conductors would have to be to move that amount of power into the car quickly?