No more Batteries ! You won't need them anymore.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I was always intrigued by these types of Supercapacitors.
The only problem was that in order to charge a Car with Supercapacitors charged within a few minutes it would cause a minor brownout in a small housing area.
Now....if you had a whole neighborhood had these cars and they all came home to plug in the car at the end of the day, it would cause a blackout.

The main limiting factor to this in an automotive capacity will be grid power capability.

This video is like a bad ad, all fluff and promises, no data.......

He's is just talking about possibilities! The recharge might not even be from a conventional power outlet. Might be some super new 'controlled explosion' that dumps energy in one shot. :D
We need to think out of the box. Impossible ideas become possible if we work on them. They may not be as initially imagined but would work something like that. Super quick charge without problems !

100 years ago cellphones and laptops would have been just ridiculously crazy ideas ! So many impossible yesterday's (!) dreams are reality today. So nothing is impossible......given time !;)

Look at the nano particle field. They haven't even scratched the surface of the possibilities that will evolve based on that ! The future WILL be amazing . Unfortunately we will not be there to see it .........or will we ?

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I agree, we will need thousands of amps to charge a car.
This would be redundant 3 phase lines to a single house.
It's not impossible.......just not with today's power grid.
Possibly a Super Super Supercapacitor in the ground under the garage that is charged slowly throughout the day to dump power in a surge to the vehicle.

Possibly a Super Super Supercapacitor in the ground under the garage that is charged slowly throughout the day to dump power in a surge to the vehicle.........

There you go ! :D
Super idea AND probably quite possible ! If you work on this and make it practical you are going to be a trillionaire ! :D

See... we have plenty of guys with super imagination right here in this forum !
Just let your imagination run wild and lets see how many guys can come up with solutions..........here is the chance to come up with the whackiest solutions possible. One might just work well and that all we need !

Even charging the present electric cars in some affluent neighborhoods is becoming a problem. Everyone buys an electric car as a status symbol, they all arrive home from work and plug their cars in, but the power company didn't wire the neighborhood for that much power. Then the fun begins, deciding who pays for the system upgrade.

I agree, we will need thousands of amps to charge a car.
This would be redundant 3 phase lines to a single house.
It's not impossible.......just not with today's power grid.
Possibly a Super Super Supercapacitor in the ground under the garage that is charged slowly throughout the day to dump power in a surge to the vehicle.

Do you have any idea how big the conductors would have to be to move that amount of power into the car quickly?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It doesn't seem that hard to work this all out. Charge during off-peak hours, or accumulate during off-peak hours then dump to the car. Or a combo of the two.

The problem will come when there are 10s of 1000s of these in a city. The power companies are hard pressed to build more capacity into the grid and generation. There will need to be a very delicate balance of off-peak recharging.

Do you also fuel your car at home...???? Home charging could be slow and over night.. and then you could have rapid-charge "gas" stations placed where gas stations usually are long the road, then the grid issue is not so much and issue. There they could use super-caps to super charge the car caps. (or something like that)

The key here is that you have much higher number of cycles, no toxic metals like Cadmium or lithium. No shortage in rare earth materials.

If this holds what the video promises, then a fossil-fuel free world will be possible.... This could be the missing piece for that puzzle.. See we have plenty energy but not a very stable supply, This could in large scale potentially offer the needed energy storage.. Nice to see it the the hands of GE and not in the hands off the worlds BIG Gas companies....

Fossil fuels have a very high energy density per unit volume.

The problem with conventional batteries and capacitors, is that their energy density very small in comparison to oil.

If this technology can result in an improved energy density storage, it might be simple to use, and inexpensive to manufacture.

There would be have huge opportunities for storing energy with small scale generation projects.

Instead of roofing our houses with asphalt products which we throw away in 20 years, we will cover our roofs with photovoltaic panels that will charge up these cells. Such cells connected to community grid could go a long way to reducing conventional fossil fuel.

Freax - 600VA - your talking preamp here ? :)

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    846.2 KB · Views: 171
Do you have any idea how big the conductors would have to be to move that amount of power into the car quickly?

Depends upon the voltage, but I suppose the front of a car can act as the positive terminal and the rear of the car a negative one. bumper bars are fairly large conductors and can be easily insulated from the chassis.

Id be more concerned about the size of the fuse.

And what happens during a 50 car pileup, tho it would save buying fireworks for the 4th of July.

Freax - 600VA - your talking preamp here ? :)

Haven't made it into a project yet :)

I'm thinking using it for a DAC tho.. 2x18vA Antek Antek - AN-6218

And the second winding as a psu for a 13.5v psu using Project 77 to charge a SLA with to run a computer off of it M4-ATX.

Btw impressive thing you got there, is that really a preamp or are you just happy to see me?

Last edited:
Fossil fuels have a very high energy density per unit volume.

The problem with conventional batteries and capacitors, is that their energy density very small in comparison to oil.

If this technology can result in an improved energy density storage, it might be simple to use, and inexpensive to manufacture.

There would be have huge opportunities for storing energy with small scale generation projects.

Instead of roofing our houses with asphalt products which we throw away in 20 years, we will cover our roofs with photovoltaic panels that will charge up these cells. Such cells connected to community grid could go a long way to reducing conventional fossil fuel.

I doubt this would happen when we are all in the poor house, and last time I checked we didnt have flying cars, I've been waiting 10 years for a supercapacitor that would save us all, I'm still waiting.

And small projects generally have small budgets.

Most likely the technology will end up being wasted and go into laptops and tablets, pacemakers and other wonderful gadgets that we cannot live without, because we need to buy them inorder for the economy to stay afloat, thats if we ever see it, lithium as it is now is plenty good, the iPad 3 is proof of that, a genuine 10 hour battery life.

But thats because of a combination of energy efficient LED backlighting, newer very efficient CPU's and larger battery capacity.

Then we will need to wait another 20 years for it to get cheap enough for it to be used everywhere including an african familys hut.

~~~~ The future as I see it:
If we manage to make it out of this economic black hole that we are floating around...

Automated fly-by-wire taxis, highly congested roads for private transport making it infeasible and expensive to even own or insure a private car, so a boon in taxis will result. Taxis are typically the latest tech, or out by a few years and as a result will be very affordable compared to the cost of owning your own car.

Cars will require a needs basis to be registered and operated.

In the home there will be a resurgence of low voltage wiring and energy efficient cooking will boom in places where there isn't a huge abundance of natural gas or LPG, probably will be in the form of a microwave convection oven instead of electric radiant heating.

In Australia at least there will be no choice but to go with government-mandated front loading washing machines, and tumble dryers in the suburban home will be banned for being too hard on the electric grid or some other such nonsense that we seem to swallow quite readily from whoever is in government at the moment.

You will need to buy a very expensive licence to own and operate an air conditioner. Restrictions will be placed upon the size of refrigerators for families and couples, single people will have no choice but to survive on chest freezers and a microwave oven and microwave meals for their kitchens. They will pry my chest freezer from my cold refrigerated hands.

Atmospheric pollution worldwide as a result of the surge in runaway industrial pollution from China and the inevitable global climate change will create a world in Australia at least that looks like a dry barren desert all along the east coast of Australia, with a boom-bust cycle of a decade in length of monsoons or dried up droughts.

I will most likely need to dodge the usual cyclone or tornado while on my way to greet the postman, who just so happens to look like mary poppins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_in_Australia

Last edited:
mind you that the total human energy consumption is less than 0.3% of the energy radiated to earth by the sun.... We "just" need to get hold of it.. Denmark where I live has already 30% green energy. and will have 50% by 2020.

Modern housings of today can produce more energy than they consume, the roofing is big enough for plenty of solar panels but only works during the day.

Low voltage is not needed. DC/AC converters at quite efficient.

Atmospheric pollution worldwide as a result of the surge in runaway industrial pollution from China and the inevitable global climate change will create a world in Australia at least that looks like a dry barren desert all along the east coast of Australia, with a boom-bust cycle of a decade in length of monsoons or dried up droughts.

Which basically looks like this, landslides for the hilly areas, flooding for everyone in the wetlands or what used to be a river, a receeding coastline for sydney, flooded CBD's in every major city, and thats just when we get enough rainfall to grow crops with.

The flipside, the deserts, Sydney will disappear in a thick dangerous red dust storm, like it did a few years back.

2009 Australian dust storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I still have some of this red dust stuck inside of the power supply of my computer, thats how difficult it is to remove, it has such a fine powdered texture that it sticks to everything.

q3kZH.jpg

Solar panels don't work when its overcast, or its a blood red sky outside, I don't think it would be even wise to drive a car in this kind of weather.

None the less lets hope that it doesn't become a regular thing.

Iyx4F.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.