No more Batteries ! You won't need them anymore.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Freax,

Actually its a power amp and the transformer is a 4KVA, soft start seriously required. Here is my take on a Preamp power supply - only 2 each 375VA transformers - and yes, there's no soft start on this one :)

Good Listening

Peter

Attachments

• DSC_0212.jpg
    DSC_0212.jpg
    861.7 KB · Views: 161
The future WILL be amazing .

Unfortunately we will not be there to see it .........or will we ?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

some of us might .

The average age will be in the region of a few thousand years.
These numbers are guesses, of course,
but they're guided by the rate at which the young die these days.

search for ' Aubrey de Grey '

It's pretty neat to consider...
If every basement had a "super capacitor" with an appropriate charge controller, or there were just a lot of them spread about. That could be the missing piece of the puzzle for the grid. As of now we need to generate to meet demand because there is no way to store excess power so we route it about or turn generation on or off as needed. It makes it difficult to use wind and solar due to needing "back-up" generation to fill demand when that power is not available at night or during a calm period. At least that's how I have understood it. I think some of the possibilities are very cool.

I like the idea of exchangeable batteries.
You pay a deposit and a kind of rent for using them. The rent could be paid together with the energy.
Imagine the batteries were taken to the power plant to be recharged. The full batteries would be transported to the "gas stations" .
I turn up up with my e-car and park over a mechanism that will take my exhausted battery from the bottom of the car and replace it with full one. You pay for the energy you have taken from the battery and for the time you have had the battery.
Fast and clean exchange, no power electronics in the layman´s home and a nice model for the energy companies (now oil companies) to continue making some profit.
I see no reason why this could not be done.

And by the way, I would really like to live in a world were there are no noisy exhausts.

Even charging the present electric cars in some affluent neighborhoods is becoming a problem. Everyone buys an electric car as a status symbol, they all arrive home from work and plug their cars in, but the power company didn't wire the neighborhood for that much power. Then the fun begins, deciding who pays for the system upgrade.

Where would that be Shaker Heights, certainly not Maumee? My father had a fellow WWII crew member that took advantage of the GI bill while he did not. His digs in Shaker Heights by the 60's were a real eye opener for 6' x 8' bedroom me.

Grommeteer: That's a great idea. No need to worry about battery replacement or batteries that do not last as long as expected etc. No worry about charging capacity or 'commercial charges' at home.
I don't see why this cannot be implemented. It solves the issue of disposal or recycling of used batteries . All will be done by the energy supplier. So the 'energy supplier' will be the equivalent of a petrol pump ! AND no emissions or waste disposal problems/commitments either.
Wouldn't life be more cushy ? ;)

It wasn't Shaker Heights, I read about it in a power engineering magazine. Maybe it was Phoenix or California. We have enough problems with speedskating and power in the Heights. One year the high voltage line went down and we had to scratch 2 hours of an already overcrowded schedule (we had competitors from as far away as Australia). Last Fall, Superstorm Sandy took out power for 4 days and we had to scratch the event.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.