Finishing my Audio Rack. Many Pix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are pix of the rack. I should have it done by the end of the week.

Here is the stack of wood I got from a machine shop some time ago

IMG_3837.jpg

These are the bottom two shelves

125_zps2a51d2c2.jpg

These are the top two shelves.

132_zpsbab8ceff.jpg

These are the legs for the bottom shelve. They are 3" waterpipe that will be painted bronze texture.

128_zpsa067c963.jpg

These are two of the next set of legs. I am turning them out of Poplar. These are my first peices turned on a lathe. I am really a metal guy.

IMAG0186_zps7728badb.jpg

IMAG0191_zps3c6026c4.jpg

This is just one of the next set of legs. I still have to make the other one. These will be painted Comilian Blue. P.S., for some reason the pictures on this are stretched. Click on them and they will come up normal.

IMAG0192_zpsdc0384eb.jpg

IMAG0193_zps2d359168.jpg

These are the last set of legs. I welded them up from scrap from a laser cutter I know. They will be painted Comilian Green.

IMAG0190_zps718f4b6b.jpg

IMAG0189_zps8aaa3aec.jpg

I NEED YOUR OPINION!!!

I was planning today's activities and put one of the red legs on the newly varnished table tops and noticed a big color difference between the two. That got me thinking that maybe the spar varnish is not the right color (although I love the color) for this project.

In the pix below I put the red leg in the middle with the spar varnish above it and a clear urethane below it. These two projects used the same wood. When seen together it is clearly a big difference in color between the two finishes.

Which one do you like better???

color_zps3f442361.png

Thanks Guys. In my last house the original owner built in audio racks and internal speaker wiring so I never needed a rack until we moved here. I am looking forward to finishing this as I have all my gear strune across the floor.

ENZO: you have an open invitation to stop by when ever you want.

UP-DATE:

I heard from the sand blaster the other day. He said he could not get to my parts for a couple weeks. That got me thinking that this is not an outdoor rack and it won't move after I set it up so I think I will just use a good Rust-o-lium primer and call it good.

I will finish varnishing the boards soon and will move them out of the garage so I can paint the metal parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.