The extremely low energy consumption hints/tips/projects thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh dear. Here in the USA, public service announcements on TV tell us to lower our thermostats to 65 degrees to save energy. We already leave the thing at 50 degrees (in the winter) and wrap up under blankets. I wonder what they would sugest I lower THAT to?

Let's say you have a house that is drafty - very cold when windy - if you can reduce the infiltration you can save a lot of energy. While there is certainly a price to pay for a house that is "too tight" or one that doesn't manage moisture properly, older houses (such as my 1959 ranch) often can reduce their energy bill more cost effectively with weatherstripping than with insulation.

The payback on adding insulation in my attic is decades,where the payback on making my windows tighter is more easily measured in months.

Where I used to live I had a kerosene heater gobble up about 10 litres of kerosene in just 1 night during winter just because of drafts that couldn't be stopped, this is how cold it was when I eventually ran out:

clUmi.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.