Variable load device

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DUG
Nice to see you here from the cyclo-converter thread. Line impedance is practically nil for any voltage step the branch uses at 50-60Hz. Before his departure, DF96 did suggest branching passively and the more I think about it, that might be the best all around solution. Doing so will have practically zero response lag and be cheap to implement short term since the current will flow proportionally. It's a shame he felt tweaked because if his stated cred is legit, there probably isn't anyone on this forum that would be more qualified to cue us in what we need to do. He probably saw or maybe even had a hand in designing a grid system first hand. Back to your questions:
Even a half cycle lag might work if it existed ONLY on the secondary branch but ideally, the lag should be as close to zero as possible. After your first post, I've began researching different cyclo-converter schema. Load balancing and timing the diodes will be a pain when we aggregate the cycles. Making the whole output DC and re-inverting may make more sense there but this discussion belongs in the other thread. This thread deals with our problem after the cycles are tamed so the same 600VAC origin applies. Have you got a circuit or just an approach suggestion?

Last edited:
The OP has been deliberately coy about the nature of the project. For example telling us he never said it involved amplifiers, yet later saying he never said it was not audio. OK, whatever. Either this is world changing and he fears someone will steal it, or??? Makes it harder and harder to give it enough attention to get anywhere.

Enzo
I am the original poster, no reason to be deliberately coy about naming me :)

I'm not smart enough to come up with anything world changing, just ask DF96 and he will tell you so. This is just an academic exercise that might have a practical application and nothing more. As to what that practical application would be, who knows but if something exists that wasn't there before, someone will be smart enough to come up with a way to use it.

jamesshillj "Post 1 is meaningless in engineering terms and asking for a circuit to do solve a problem that has no parameters..."

It had enough parameters for me to give a correct answer...almost as soon as I read it.

It just wasn't what gmaslin was looking for. :)

From post # 25 "DF96 did suggest branching passively"

I'm not sure what you meant there...I'm a little slow some times.

If you were going to translate it to DC then that is easy...current source and shunt regulator. What isn't used by the load is into the shunt.

So, no half cycle by half cycle correction...:(

Only the first half cycle would not get proper total load.

Oh well, onto more challenges.

gmaslin, I was simply too lazy to scan up to get your name correct, so I used standard notation of OP. No disrespect or mystery intended.

In the case of purely academic exercises, it still is often useful to have a concrete example. Make up a potential real world application - even if it would be impractical or already done by other means. At least we would have a context.

Well Doug,

You win the prize, and first up, too - a cycloconverter (or inverter) is a thyristor motor control device.

I would never have got there, as I was thinking about something to do with Audio like an AC shunt reg or something weird.

Ah, well - old age comes to us all!

Curiously, does this "the cyclo-converter thread" have another name?

DF96
I'm glad we are beginning to understand each other. Noise on the source A is negligible if that is what you mean. I'm assuming that you would approach this with a logical gate controlling a heavy duty rheostat. What would you use to sense the current with this configuration? I didn't find a 20kW rheostat but if I do, what percentage power loss should I expect through this type of servo? Which of the two roads offered will be more efficient and which more economical?
Oh my ... I don't think you'll find one of those. It would be too inefficient. The fans to keep it cool would be huge and take a lot of power. What you would need (perhaps, if I halfway understand, which I suspect I don't), is a 20kW Variac (TM, brand name of variable autotransformer), and I doubt those are made anywhere near that large. It would also take a large, powerful servomotor to rotate it in half the cycle time of a 60Hz wave.

I dare say that any project that needs anything approaching a "20kW rheostat" is beyond the DIY capabilities of most here, both in terms of safety and cost.
I'm still in.

As I said, I like a challenge.

Even if only to suggest a concept.

But, I'm still in.
Usually the challenge is technical, though sometimes the challenge is with language, which admittedly I'll have some respect for a poster with bad English, as he surely knows English as a second language much better than I know his first language (though I do hate seeing u for the word you and such - I consider that laziness). But this challenge is something else.

Good luck, DUG.

Ah, so that's what it's all about. Not really much to do with Audio at all, at all.

I'm looking to re-purpose an electrical generator that outputs 5A three phase 500VAC @1kHz to 125VAC @60Hz

So, 500volts, 5A, 1kHz (?), 3 phase, no power factor correction/conditioning, etc ... Jeez!

DUC, I don't think you get to take that prize home after all!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:cop:

I've pulled some of the more insulting posts off here. Keep to technical discussion related to the topic and cut the personal stuff.

Which leads on to this...

gmaslin. Unless you are prepared to explain in simple terms what you are trying to achieve or what this "academic question" relates too, then this thread will be closed.

Dug... I've deleted your "wrong thread" post/s :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.