Norfolk Police promotes destroying PA equipment in Youtube as a method to stop raves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They uploaded this video to youtube a few days ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCAP-kmnkTA

It's really painful to see. The ones whose work is to avoid violence are the ones promoting it. The rave community is shocked.

Forgot to mention: This happened in UK! Fortunately this is a generational war in which the old ones can not win for technical reasons: They are going to die sooner hehe

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with British law but in the US that action by the police would be illegal as there was no court ruling. I've been lucky for many year of doing sound for renegade electronic music events and never had any gear confiscated but this type of thing has always been my worst fear... Maybe they were playing particularly bad music ;)
This reminds me of the time when the US had prohibited the consumption of alcohol and the cops went around and smashed stuff. That action dramatically increased criminal activity and thus prohibition didn't last long, lets hope this doesn't either.

Thanks for posting Eva,

-Matt

It says there was a court ruling. In fact, the court requested that the seized equipment be destroyed.

Illegal raves are a problem in the UK. They create a noise nuisance for local residents. The landowner faces the cost of tidying up the mess left behind, and repairing fences and gates. I am pleased to see the police and courts taking robust action. I trust that these comments will not be seen as being more political than your opposing view.

It says there was a court ruling. In fact, the court requested that the seized equipment be destroyed.

Illegal raves are a problem in the UK. They create a noise nuisance for local residents. The landowner faces the cost of tidying up the mess left behind, and repairing fences and gates. I am pleased to see the police and courts taking robust action. I trust that these comments will not be seen as being more political than your opposing view.

Rave Culture dictates that the place must be cleaned before leaving, mainly to be able to do more parties at the same place, especially in natural locations that nobody else is going to clean later. It's called sustainability. It must not be felt as a destructive activity, because it has no future that way.

There is probably too many people in UK making and attending raves just to get drunk, without really understanding the sense of what they are doing, it must be a place for contemporaneous art expression (music, visuals, dance, decoration, technology!, meeting interesting people, and many other healthy activities not receiving any attention by mass media). It's should be the responsibility of the ones providing the music and other stuff to explain this to everybody.

I've had to clean the mess from other people a few times, but then it was possible to do more parties at the same place, and this gave rise to awareness about how to do it right in other people.

Last edited:
OK, but a self-destructive youth culture is just the consequence of the violence and lack of love they are receiving from older people in their families and authorities, and violence is always worse in crowded regions because people has less chances to be alone and relaxed when they have to think about what is wrong and what is right. Since all those problems related to young people were created by people older than them, it's not *their* fault, they are just in their way to find a solution. A generational rupture is taking place across the world.

I'm not familiar with British law but in the US that action by the police would be illegal as there was no court ruling. I've been lucky for many year of doing sound for renegade electronic music events and never had any gear confiscated but this type of thing has always been my worst fear... Maybe they were playing particularly bad music ;)
Maybe the guy controlling the equipment was making it sound especially bad!
The manufacturers will be glad to build and sell more equipment!

Very sad. All this kind of thing ever seems to achieve is to drive a wedge between the authorities and the partygoers.

The worst part of this, of course, is that we in the UK (in common with many other contries) are currently loosing funding to our police services. The police we do have should be concentrating on catching real criminals, not chasing ravers. Siezed goods should be auctioned off to put something back into the system; wanton destruction serves nobody.

I think the YouTube rating tells us everything we need to know about this policy:
13 likes, 879 dislikes

It might tell us something about YouTube users?

Flogging the seized equipment on ebay just means someone else can pick it up cheaply and annoy someone else.

This is a dangerous reasoning because it can lead people without a background on the subject to think that all affordable audio equipment should be destroyed just because it can be used in the wrong place by the wrong people.

As I mentioned, in the past I have thrown electronic music renegade events and the group I worked with owned all our equipment. We didn't charge and we had nothing to do with any drugs that may have been exchanged at the event. Ecstasy use was not really that popular in our scene I might add.
I would think that, logically, broad generalizations about such a world wide and varied culture cannot be accurate. History has shown that criminalization of non violent recreational activities only promotes violence as Eva has said. If collaboration between government and cultural/music movements was accepted, such events would not be the norm in EDM. That being said I do support an encourage discussion like this between people of differing opinions and don't take anything said thus far personally.

Carry on =)

-Matt

Happy memorys of meeting up at motorway service stations, then driving to some remote place to party, day-glo paint and all (plus whistle and glow sticks;)), but that was many years ago, now I have had my middle age crisis, so dont condone the playing of loud repetetive dance tracks into the early mornings while in an enhanced mental state...

My nieghbours bang on the wall:D

Trance / "Rave" doesn't bear the same "mass" of culture of people with harmony compared to the year 2000 and back "the golden age" when clubbers were involved with it from a cultured and "united" point of view.

Today, MDMA "ecstasy" is no longer the choice of stimulants used on a large scale maybe a few here and there (just a remembrance of things past), which of course formed the catalyst at these RAVE, psychedelic events uniting people. IMHO

Those days has passed (very fast might I add), and its really sad :( we in the age where toxic methamphetamine and twisted aggressive electronic music like "hard style" ect... stemming aggressive seeds nothing like we seen before, WARS and greedy governments are at the pinnacle of everything around us.

Watching expensive equipment being destroyed is not even the surface of the what's really happening around us.

Last edited:
As I mentioned, in the past I have thrown electronic music renegade events and the group I worked with owned all our equipment. We didn't charge and we had nothing to do with any drugs that may have been exchanged at the event. Ecstasy use was not really that popular in our scene I might add.
-Matt

As someone who has also participated in throwing such events and threw a few of my own back in the day, I have to agree with Matt here. Especially with outdoor events, so much of the "dirt-raver" culture is about leaving the location better than you found it and neither white powder drugs nor alcohol were popular to say the least.

FWIW, the median age was also higher than you might expect. I would call it young adult culture more than youth culture. I'm sure the fact that we threw our events many miles out of town was part of the reason. I could go on for pages, but I won't, I just wanted to give Matt some support.

gs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.