Don't buy a PC with Windows 8 installed! Until you read this. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2012, 04:18 AM   #1
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Don't buy a PC with Windows 8 installed! Until you read this.

Linus Torvalds on Windows 8, UEFI, and Fedora | ZDNet

Shimming your way to Linux on Windows 8 PCs | ZDNet

Microsoft confirms that UEFI 'secure boot' might lock out Linux and older versions of Windows from new PCs | ZDNet

Why the Windows 8 UEFI secure boot thing has me worried | Technology | guardian.co.uk
Old 9th December 2012, 02:28 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Thanks for alerting us.
Old 9th December 2012, 07:45 PM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

VMware ?

Last edited by tvrgeek; 9th December 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 9th December 2012, 07:52 PM   #4
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, pay ransom to Microsoft for a Fedora key? What If I prefer one of the other distributions? I happen to prefer Ubantu. I see lawsuits coming if the PC builders do not get this solved real fast. The EU won't put up with it considering their issues with just browsers.
Old 9th December 2012, 08:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have used Win 8 since it was a beta version.
It takes a while to find everything as most things have moved.

The picture handling is now dire, it insists on showing pictures in Metro and you have to press ALT F4 to go back to the next picture in the desktop !

Win 8 apps are very poor, most belong on a phone not a Windows PC.
Old 11th December 2012, 03:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

good grief, that sounds like hell to me.
Old 11th December 2012, 03:37 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I just sent this link to my good friend who works for Microsoft strategy in Beijing. Her reply was - 'no, I don't want to read it, I know its all cr*p and I'm intending leaving MS because its sooo depressing'.
Old 11th December 2012, 02:01 PM   #8
JoeDJ is online now JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

I knew there was a reason I sill use XP on my computers except for my main gaming machine that duel boots XP and Vista only for DX10. Even with those OS' I have them configured for classic windows "style"

It seems that MS got it right years ago and just keeps changing it to sell new OS'.

Last edited by JoeDJ; 11th December 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11th December 2012, 03:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yeah they got it right with Windows NT/2k pro, then they popularized it with XP and added more features and reached the best that they will ever make.

Now.... Microsoft is really just floating waiting to be flushed.

I kinda knew this was coming way back when they released ME, I thought to myself at the time, why would you bother replacing Windows 98 SE and Windows 2k pro? Something's up at Microsoft.... ME wasn't a bad OS really, it was pretty good I thought, but then I took a look at the control panel.

Click the image to open in full size.

Back then, this kind of tinkering would've been drastic and scary, NOW LOOK AT 7 and 8's Control panel! OMG!!!

Notice how its a much more dumbed down version of the W98 Control panel:

Now compare this to Longhorn/Vista:

Notice any similarities?

They've lost their professional image a LONG time ago as soon as they buried the classic interface, now its just all about catering to the lowest common denominator = every man woman and child out there who doesn't want to learn how to use a computer and doesn't care how it works but instead sees it as an appliance and NOT a serious tool.

Time to move onto better and brighter things, GNU/Linux, It will take a few years to get started though and I will NEVER bury Windows XP, the people who designed and programmed NT/XP deserve a medal and a knighthood.

Last edited by freax; 11th December 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11th December 2012, 03:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Vista was awful but Windows 7 was acceptable. Windows 8 seems to be a real backward step.

Hide this!Advertise here!