Don't buy a PC with Windows 8 installed! Until you read this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, pay ransom to Microsoft for a Fedora key? What If I prefer one of the other distributions? I happen to prefer Ubantu. I see lawsuits coming if the PC builders do not get this solved real fast. The EU won't put up with it considering their issues with just browsers.

I knew there was a reason I sill use XP on my computers except for my main gaming machine that duel boots XP and Vista only for DX10. Even with those OS' I have them configured for classic windows "style" :)

It seems that MS got it right years ago and just keeps changing it to sell new OS'.

Last edited:
Yeah they got it right with Windows NT/2k pro, then they popularized it with XP and added more features and reached the best that they will ever make.

Now.... Microsoft is really just floating waiting to be flushed.

I kinda knew this was coming way back when they released ME, I thought to myself at the time, why would you bother replacing Windows 98 SE and Windows 2k pro? Something's up at Microsoft.... ME wasn't a bad OS really, it was pretty good I thought, but then I took a look at the control panel.

IAHMD.png

Back then, this kind of tinkering would've been drastic and scary, NOW LOOK AT 7 and 8's Control panel! OMG!!!

Notice how its a much more dumbed down version of the W98 Control panel:

S1OFl.png

Now compare this to Longhorn/Vista:

h7KSI.png

Notice any similarities?

They've lost their professional image a LONG time ago as soon as they buried the classic interface, now its just all about catering to the lowest common denominator = every man woman and child out there who doesn't want to learn how to use a computer and doesn't care how it works but instead sees it as an appliance and NOT a serious tool.

Time to move onto better and brighter things, GNU/Linux, It will take a few years to get started though and I will NEVER bury Windows XP, the people who designed and programmed NT/XP deserve a medal and a knighthood.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's typical M.S. They alternate decent OSes with rotten ones. Windows 9 should be great. ;)

I'm with you Freax. I was very happy with Win 2K. I only went to XP because a new computer had it. It's basically the same, but with a Fisher-Price interface. It's still easy to get XP drivers, win 2K not so much, or I'd still be there.

Vista was awful but Windows 7 was acceptable. Windows 8 seems to be a real backward step.

Yeah, Windows 3.1 is easier to use than that thing.

I agree completely with 7, only difference I'd make is that its "tolerable".

I'd even argue that Microsoft never really did know what they were doing (even DOS was pretty much ripped off of QDOS, http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_did_Bill_Gates_steal_DOS_from ), they got lucky and we needed an OS, now its time to kick them in the butt and send them packing... (If I can)

The only thing stopping me is the fact that GNU/Linux needs to become a bit more compatible with apps (wine has fixed that to a certain degree) and games (Steam should fix that soon/near future) and a good explorer style file manager for GNU/Linux would be nice too, (midnight commander is great but not ideal.)

Any icing on the cake would come in the form of a newer release of Debian which is as easy to use as Potato was, as soon as Steam becomes stable I'm going to give GNU/Linux on the desktop another shot.

Remember BSODs on DOS based systems?
Windows 98 - YouTube

Last edited:
Win NT internally was essentially a rewrite of VAX/VMS, headed by the same guy: Dave Cutler. Microsoft headhunted him from DEC. If you look inside you can see things which are very VMS-like, such as Access Control Lists. The big difference was the quality of the teams working under him.

Until a couple of years ago my main machine ran ME - until one day it scribbled all over itself. Now I run XP, but have no plans to 'upgrade'. My next machine will almost certainly be some flavour of Linux, or even a Mac (if I am feeling rich enough).

I personally like the windows 7 control panel, because in the upper right corner you can search anything what you would want to do and it takes you there. Same goes to the start menu quicksearch.
Also you can choose classic view in the control panel, just as well as you can disable the themes completely. If you want, you could even load the old windows 98 desktop icons :D

I have used windows2000 for 7 years, XP only for 2 (had to use xp in late 2008 because drivers/games for 2k were getting the short stick more and more). Upgraded to win7 in 2010 and never regretted it.

Win NT internally was essentially a rewrite of VAX/VMS, headed by the same guy: Dave Cutler. Microsoft headhunted him from DEC. If you look inside you can see things which are very VMS-like, such as Access Control Lists. The big difference was the quality of the teams working under him.

With everything that I know I didn't know that, nice story:
Windows NT and VMS: The Rest of the Story

Just goes to show you how intelligent the original programmers of this code were.

Until a couple of years ago my main machine ran ME - until one day it scribbled all over itself. Now I run XP, but have no plans to 'upgrade'. My next machine will almost certainly be some flavour of Linux, or even a Mac (if I am feeling rich enough).

The macbook air looks nice but I went and bought an ipad 3, couldn't be happier with the battery life which wasn't even in the same league compared to most Android tablets which were for sale out there at the time that I bought the ipad 3.

Don't know about the current state of affairs though with android tablets.

I know that when my heavily jailbroken iphone 3GS eventually dies (on its 2nd battery now) that I won't bother owning another mobile phone though, smartphones are like having big brother in your pocket wherever you go, I'll just use landlines.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not too surprised by this.

I installed Windows 7 less than a year ago (had to for some programs) and as soon as I installed it I got "Windows 8" spam all the time. It asks me many times a day if I want 8.

I hate the constant updates. Once I get my PC running fine I don't want to change it. Once you update or install something new you have to update and install a bunch of other crap. I don't want to do it unless I have a good reason. Plus I have a new hard drive with no obselete or unused software on it. I like it like that.

I personally like the windows 7 control panel, because in the upper right corner you can search anything what you would want to do and it takes you there. Same goes to the start menu quicksearch.

Thats what I've never understood, how do you manage to 'explore' through 12 terabytes of data? I cannot possibly remember the name of every single thing so I cannot therefore search for it.

This is the primary reason why I hate Windows 7, every other reason why I hate Windows 7 pales in comparison.

Basically Microsoft kicked the entire power/buisness userbase off of the OS and reinstated a bunch of home users in their place, just so that they could cater to the home users?

This is also in effect a HUGE privacy violation, because how do you know what files are still on your hard drive(s) if you cannot see them and you must search for them inorder to know that they exist!??!?!!!

And the List and Details settings NEVER SAVE properly on Windows 7, infact ANY option that I set is simply reset once I close the explorer window or reboot, what the hell!? The only ones that stick is the classic theme and the thickness of the taskbar, and where my icons are.

The same thing happens with applications settings, I've heard that the fix to this is to run all of your applications under Administrator, but that doesn't work for me, and is a rediculously stupid security flaw. (assuming that a Microsoft OS ever had any security at all.)

Last edited:
I don't know, my windows 7 looks like windows 2k since I started using it and I never had problems with it changing back.
And yea deactivating of UAC was the first thing i did.

The search function is only useful for installed apps which did their entry into the start-menu of course.
But everything else is just normal, you can activate the standard icons on the desktop (my computer, network, my documents, etc).

The search function in the control panel however is really handy. Just search for "resolution" or "ip" or "background" and it will almost directly take you, where you want to be.
It is different from what i was used to, but i clearly see the advantages of not having to click through window after window most of the time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.