Don't buy a PC with Windows 8 installed! Until you read this. - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2012, 10:32 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

looking at win8's UI, for some reason, i thought about Microsoft Bob..., actually i think Bob was better/more interesting... but Bob was a dud, and i think win8's UI is a horrible dud.... Bob locked you in to it's "rooms" and there was no way to fix things if they broke.
Old 12th December 2012, 10:34 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
I took up the Win 8 beta version to develop some software.
I wrote the software and tested it fine.

Then the RTM version of Win 8 came out and my software would no longer compile !
I had to download a new version of Visual Studio which took 7 hours.
I had to restart a project in Visual Studio and import my previous version a bit at a time !
So Win 8 was even compatible with Win 8 !
Visual Studio refused to open a projects from the previous version? What kind of project was this?
Old 12th December 2012, 10:43 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

I rang Microsoft support and asked if I could simply buy windows 8, disable Metro and then end up with windows 7, but for 1/3 the price - they said yes.
I'm unsure if there has to be a working system, for the windows 8 installation to start. Even though they say that windows 8 makes a clean install, since they can upgrade from an XP.
But I'm not building a new rig anytime now and XP runs fine.
Best thing about Windows 7, is that drivers are found quickly - most of the time.
Old 12th December 2012, 10:52 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

for desktop use, just unistall every metro app, dont use a "live account", add your favorite software (ie. mpc-hc and foobar for media) and get used to clicking on the windows key for menu and clicking right mouse buton on bottom left corner for pretty much everything else, and 8 will not be too bad...I actually like accesing the menu without moving the cursor to a specific point and organize "by coordinates" the menu.
Old 12th December 2012, 10:56 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanoplastik View Post
for desktop use, just unistall every metro app, dont use a "live account", add your favorite software (ie. mpc-hc and foobar for media) and get used to clicking on the windows key for menu and clicking right mouse buton on bottom left corner for pretty much everything else, and 8 will not be too bad...I actually like accesing the menu without moving the cursor to a specific point and organize "by coordinates" the menu.
So I will still have to install some sort of 3'rd party software to have it look and work like windows 7?
I thought that windows 8, deep down, was just a windows 7, with wannabe mobile-touch-features - or?
Old 12th December 2012, 11:21 PM   #56
skunark is offline skunark  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
OSX is based on FreeBSD with a Mach kernal.

iOS is really something different.

dave
Argumentative here? Based, descendent, modified, updated, etc... Mach as a replacement is still based on BSD.
Old 13th December 2012, 01:17 AM   #57
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunark View Post
Argumentative here? Based, descendent, modified, updated, etc... Mach as a replacement is still based on BSD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_(kernel)

Quote:
The project at Carnegie Mellon ran from 1985 to 1994, ending in apparent failure with Mach 3.0, which was finally a true microkernel. Mach was developed as a replacement for the kernel in the BSD version of UNIX, so no new operating system would have to be designed around it. Today further experimental research on Mach appears to have ended, although Mach and its derivatives are in use in a number of commercial operating systems, such as NeXTSTEP and OPENSTEP, and most notably Mac OS X using the XNU operating system kernel which incorporates an earlier (non-microkernel) Mach as a major component. The Mach virtual memory management system was also adopted by the BSD developers at CSRG, and appears in modern BSD-derived UNIX systems, such as FreeBSD. Neither Mac OS X nor FreeBSD maintain the microkernel structure pioneered in Mach, although Mac OS X continues to offer microkernel inter-process communication and control primitives for use directly by applications.
dave
Old 13th December 2012, 01:46 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

I currently run five computers, for various purposes; one XP Home, one XP Pro, one Vista, one Windows 7 Pro, and one Windows 7 Ultimate. By judicious configuration of the desktops (and some freeware add-ins for Vista and 7), for the kinds of things that I need, the user interfaces and day-to-day operations on all five appear virtually identical. It can be done.

I haven't tried Windows 8, but I suspect that the same is true.
Old 13th December 2012, 01:54 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Famous last words, I suppose you are going to need to know how to turn it off, in which case this will help: Windows 8 : How to Turn Off, Put it to Sleep or Restart - YouTube

I actually loved OS/2 Warp, I was running a BBS for a while and that was the platform for it to multitask dos applications on, so I had callers dialling in on the line while I was logged in locally and playing games with them, it was sweet.
Old 14th December 2012, 03:26 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I currently run five computers, for various purposes...
I have several PC's here for various things. Some are just simple single use boxes, like DVR's or audio analyzers, and three are full featured do everything boxes. Several OS's are used including XP, Vista, 7 and Ubuntu. They all do what I ask of them with slightly different UI's with one exception. The Vista bos will randomly screw up once a week or so. It has been very reliable about that since I built it. Unfortunately it is my main machine for Tubelab.....but its days are numbered. Once this 7 machine with 5TB of disk, 16G of ram and a core i5 overclocked to 4.2 GHz proves its reliability the Vista box will either be smashed to bits, or become a DVR. That's really all it can be relied on for.

I have an 8 box still in pieces, but it's really too soon to tell on how it works. I am building a 20 inch "man sized" laptop with a core i3-3225 chip and 16 G ram, all running on battery power. The hardware is working, the OS......

Hide this!Advertise here!