Don't buy a PC with Windows 8 installed! Until you read this. - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2012, 07:58 AM   #41
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
because forcing people to pay $1 for a calculator application
You mean forcing a user to download their choice of free calculators (hopefully the one that best suits them)... personally a calculator is useless to me if it isn't RPN.

An iPad independent of the interweb is a freakish use of it.

dave
Old 12th December 2012, 07:59 AM   #42
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunark View Post
OSX/iOS is based on BSD Unix, not Linux.
I always thought that OSX was based on the Mach kernel.... and this would tend to support that Mach (kernel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tony.
Old 12th December 2012, 08:26 AM   #43
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
I always thought that OSX was based on the Mach kernel...
Yes. FreeBSD on top of the Mach Kernal, and then a couple layers on top of that that do the graphics and underlie the UI.

You use the Terminal ap to get full access to UNIX.

dave
Old 12th December 2012, 08:29 AM   #44
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You mean forcing a user to download their choice of free calculators (hopefully the one that best suits them)... personally a calculator is useless to me if it isn't RPN.

An iPad independent of the interweb is a freakish use of it.

dave
I found the free ones to be dreadful.

"Calculator%" has billiard tables for the buttons and makes using the app very unprofessional and even makes me question the accuracy of it considering it looks like something that a toddler has written.

"Calculator+" has a memory clear fault.

"Calculator#" requires me to tap on annoying popups twice when launching it but its otherwise fine.

"CalculatorHD" has an extremely annoying banner at the bottom but is otherwise fine afaik.

"Calculator" forces me to rotate the ipad 90 degrees to the right then tap on an annoying popup box and then type on amazingly large buttons, designed for the iphone interface.

"Calculator." has an annoyingly large button surface that has my hands going all over a 9 inch screen.

"Cal" would be perfect if it wasnt for the "Follow us on twitter" button that pops up every time you launch it, this is the best contender so far.

"CalculatorZ" would have to be the worst offender, I couldn't even get into the app after closing 2x dialog boxes and a fullsize window then it blocked me on a huge swipe screen that I couldnt swipe, I'm not going to deal with this ******** everytime I want to use an app.

See what I mean? I just want a simple - + and / x calculator that launches straight up and has no bull.

Cal will suffice for now.

If this is going to be the future of windows 8 then I would rather jump over to XP and GNU/Linux, yes the apps can be substituted but why bother, I already hate both the 7 and 8 interfaces.

Last edited by freax; 12th December 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12th December 2012, 06:01 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It might be my age or that I am an ex IBMer but I still miss OS2.
I liked that one too. My (now ex) wife worked at IBM and signed me up as a beta tester back in version 2.something. The beta support guy was always amused by my calls. "Explain to me why you put the printer (icon) in the shredder?" "To see what would happen, now how do I get my printer back?"

Things got serious when I brought OS/2 Warp Connect (with an X windows add on) into work and figured out how to connect into the Sun Sparc network and run simulations that were viewed on my PC. The network guys didn't have a clue. I tried to explain that they really didn't need to put a Sparc 10 on every engineers desk, but they did it anyway. I got one and never used it.

I got a copy of Windows 8 and installed it on a spare machine. I still haven't figured out how to do half of what I can do with XP or 7.
Old 12th December 2012, 08:34 PM   #46
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I found the free ones to be dreadful.
I dug a bit deeper on your behalf... there is a free lite version of the calculator i happily paid $10 for (on my Mac, i don't own an iPad, and the iPhone a customer gave serves as an SPL meteralmost exclusivily).

App Shopper: PCalc Lite - The Best Free Calculator (Utilities)

Click the image to open in full size.

Seitchble from a real calculator (RPN) to the god awful more common calculator UI. Also mutable looks & layout

If that doesn't make you happy then there is no hope for you.

dave
Old 12th December 2012, 08:41 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Notice how in xp the explorer window shows at least 100 files on the screen at any one point in time once you customize it?

Well with the W7 explorer window its still showing the older "you're too stupid to see more than 20 files in a window at the same time" view and it won't remember any settings to the contrary.

This is with the latest OEM release of w7
Select "Details" and then Organize -> Folder And Search option -> View tab -> (here you can select to view hidden files and extensions) -> Apply to Folders.
That fixed file display problem for my 3 desktops and 4 laptops running Win 7 Home/Pro/Ultimate
Old 12th December 2012, 08:46 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

I now have a triple boot system on my pc.

Windows XP to run my website and photo software.

Windows 7 which I upgraded from.

Windows 8.

I write software so need to know it will run on any OS.
Otherwise I would probably have stuck with XP !
Old 12th December 2012, 08:55 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
agreed, but a developer shouldn't have to rewrite a 10 year old application just to cater to microsoft's bad hair day mood and your and everyone elses misguided obvious love for everything shiney and new.

And neither should I have to change just because my friends tell me that I'm a dumbass for staying with windows XP, my computer isn't a ******* playground for their egoes its a serious tool.

If it says XP compatible mode on the tin it should say what it does dammit!

Do you know how many applications I have had to abandon when moving from XP to 7? 150 applications!!!!

I've got mathematics tools, really excellent CAD tools that cost thousands of dollars, MS Office 2007 (which works fine under 7 but still, why bother upgrading?), psud didnt for a long time run on 7 either, webcam tools, GPS time synchronization tools, ham radio decoding software that is so old that some 15 year olds were born after it!

And as for the modern replacements they are FULL of spyware, no really, its like giving your system a blank cheque to be invaded by hundreds of apps that drag their friends along for the ride too and lay waste to your system, its no wonder that windows 7 works best when its running on a SSD cause it needs it!!

All of which were useful in some way, are now useless and don't function at all or work and don't remember the settings under 7, and a TON of vintage games no longer work either, yes I'm one of those gamers, but I also play a lot of modern games too, and my system isn't just a gaming platform.

Microsot is a dumbass for abandoning the worlds largest application base, aka, XP and the only reason why I'm currently on 7 is because of WASAPI and as soon as I get a USB to I2S converter I'm going back to XP and dual booting linux.
Well, you want security ("no I don't want to run all this old stuff as the admin") and you want the old apps to do whatever they want with your file system at the same time? You can't have both, so these apps either will be restricted in what they can modify, or you need to allow them to do whatever they (or clever hacker who will write an exploit) desire.

You also can run apps in compatibility mode which helps sometime. If it doesn't help, well there is always VMWare and likes.
Also everything works better on SSD
Old 12th December 2012, 09:03 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

I took up the Win 8 beta version to develop some software.
I wrote the software and tested it fine.

Then the RTM version of Win 8 came out and my software would no longer compile !
I had to download a new version of Visual Studio which took 7 hours.
I had to restart a project in Visual Studio and import my previous version a bit at a time !
So Win 8 was even compatible with Win 8 !

Hide this!Advertise here!