Don't buy a PC with Windows 8 installed! Until you read this. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2012, 06:50 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
And if I told you that there was spyware out there that was named after movies and music files, would you really want to search for it, then get a response that hides the filename extension and then click on it and become infected?

Or for this matter would you even notice any changes in your system like a different filename for an application that you are trying to look for?

Even an obviously glaring infection like that is hidden in windows 7 now.
Its exactly this kind of blatant disreguard for safety and security that I am against the most when it comes to the sloppy code that microsoft and other os makers are putting out these days.

Like for example the lack of a Balance volume control in Windows 7's mixer, I could do with one because I'm very slightly deaf in one ear, but what is going on at microsoft that they would miss an obviously blatant feature? which was on xp?

I don't need it because a mixer plugin for foobar has fixed it, but its a hack none the less and every other app which makes a sound has its image shifted around.

I could also really do with a calculator on this ipad, I'm still deciding on what alternative to use, yes seriously, a calculator is no longer a default installation on iOS for the ipad now, wtf?? What do they expect us to use, google??? Do we have to go down to our local computer store and buy a copy of calculator on 5 1/4" floppy disk again? Nah theres the app store for that! screw that! Screw paying even just $1 for a simple calculator app.

This is the future of Windows, the app store is in Windows, and I would much rather stay with the proprietary apps which I have already bought on XP than to buy the same apps again and again and again whenever Microsoft turns to the side and coughs.

Steam I tolerate, because you need a net connection to play multiplayer anyway and their online multiplayer network is great, but going the iOS route and having to pay for even simple easy to code apps is just not on in my book.

I'll give you a life threatening example, infact I'll give you a couple of them:
Australian police warn against using Apple Maps application - Apple, ios 6 maps - Computerworld

and

Hospitals’ computer hardware also suffers from infection | Ars Technica

Notice how they didn't say windows 7? They're not playing older games on that hospital equipment... Whats shocking though is that they are using Windows at all and not some variant of Linux, but Linux does have its issues too, specifically driver issues, the people who make million dollar equipment do not want their drivers code released open source, hence you get the above scenario.

Last edited by freax; 12th December 2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12th December 2012, 07:30 AM   #32
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I hesitated to get win7 when I built a new computer. I installed dual boot fedora and win7 thinking that I'd use fedora more. I think I have booted fedora once in the two (maybe three) years since I built that computer.

I absolutely hated vista, win7 (with classic windows 2000 interface) I find mostly ok. There are a few annoying things, but in general it is quick and it works.

I for a very long time resisted the move to the Windows world and ran an amiga. It wasn't until around 95 that I switched to a pc.

The AmigaDos operating system was very sophisticated. I believe it was the first fully premptive multitasking OS available on a personal computer. It was originally written for a mainframe but the company building the mainframe went belly up, and it founds its way onto the amiga 1000, a computer that was WAY ahead of its competitors at the time.

Tony.
Old 12th December 2012, 07:35 AM   #33
grufti is offline grufti  United States
diyAudio Member

How on earth could you possibly forget that it was called OS/2 with a slash before the two? Were you involved in OS/2 operating system software development?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno View Post
It might be my age or that I am an ex IBMer but I still miss OS2.
Old 12th December 2012, 07:35 AM   #34
skunark is offline skunark  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
and rising, might aswell tack on all of the ios and android users onto that number too, which are linux based, ios is based upon osx, lets face it, its windows which is the odd one out these days.

ios: 365 million
iOS by the numbers: 365 million devices sold, 150 billion iMessages sent, 80 percent of users on iOS 5 | The Verge
android: 1 Billion by Nov 2013
When will Android reach one billion users? | asymco
Windows: 1.25 Billion.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...ge-few-numbers
OSX/iOS is based on BSD Unix, not Linux.
Old 12th December 2012, 07:40 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

I run Vista on this work PC, and Win7 runs on the entertainment machine. Other than the demise of DOS being a PITA, there hasn't been any big problem with either.
Old 12th December 2012, 07:46 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunark View Post
OSX/iOS is based on BSD Unix, not Linux.
Correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU

Last edited by freax; 12th December 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12th December 2012, 07:50 AM   #37
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
ios is based upon osx
Not really. It is an really skinny OS designed to run on small devices. The only real similarities are UI consistencies.

dave
Old 12th December 2012, 08:03 AM   #38
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I could also really do with a calculator on this ipad, I'm still deciding on what alternative to use, yes seriously, a calculator is no longer a default installation on iOS for the ipad now, wtf??
Apple is smart to leaveroom for developers, they are the lifeblood of every platform. There are over a dozen free calculators on the ap store. Personally i bought PCalc -- well worth the $10.

Quote:
I'll give you a life threatening example, infact I'll give you a couple of them: Australian police warn against using Apple Maps application
Truly unfortunate, Apple was premature in transitionng to their own maps, heads did roll. But not unique. Last winter Canadian couple followed the instructions of a well reguarded GPS ap in their car and ended up stranded in the backwoods of Oregon, 1 dead, 1 lucky to to have been found at all.

dave
Old 12th December 2012, 08:09 AM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunark View Post
OSX/iOS is based on BSD Unix
OSX is based on FreeBSD with a Mach kernal.

iOS is really something different.

dave
Old 12th December 2012, 08:33 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Apple is smart to leaveroom for developers, they are the lifeblood of every platform. There are over a dozen free calculators on the ap store. Personally i bought PCalc -- well worth the $10.
I tend to want my PC to be untethered from the internet as much as possible and as for this ipad I care less about that, however with the basic calculator app there is truly no need to remove it from the bundled software.

Now, is this morally acceptable? no, its not, because forcing people to pay $1 for a calculator application (x this by a billion) when a simple calculator application is so easy to program isn't in my book very good for the people out there who might have lucked out and bought a iphone or ipad and will need a calculator.

Quote:
Truly unfortunate, Apple was premature in transitionng to their own maps, heads did roll. But not unique. Last winter Canadian couple followed the instructions of a well reguarded GPS ap in their car and ended up stranded in the backwoods of Oregon, 1 dead, 1 lucky to to have been found at all.

dave
What about putting some of the blame on google? I'm sure there will be an immense apocalyptic uproar of people coming out to defend against this viewpoint but Google have basically set up a timed bomb for Apple by giving apple's users the excellent maps that Google Maps had on iOS, building up an immense userbase of 1 billion users worldwide (that figure is platform independent), and then Apple dumping a large chunk of that userbase at the wrong time.

But yes it was very stupid of Apple to drop Google Maps and release Apple Maps when it had such an immense following, but where is the moral accountability? Shouldn't the early Beta testers of iOS 6 blown the horn? What about the accountability of a corporation? Apple should be held accountable for those deaths.

I suspect however that inside the confines of Apple there was some sort of pressure to get off of Google maps as soon as possible. When you import a map database from TomTom and quickly write a frontend for it then don't even spend time to errorcheck it, some people would say that you are in a rush to get a product out the door.

No doubt google is going to end up gaining an immense number of new users from this manuver too for their Android devices and what with Google releasing Street View on Garmin app for iOS soon..

Google Maps Street View Comes To iOS 6 (Thanks To Garmin) | WebProNews

So on one hand we have a Calculator app which should have been bundled with a iOS as a matter of ethical principle and on the other hand we have an Apple Maps app which was bundled but shouldn't have been? How weird.

Last edited by freax; 12th December 2012 at 08:47 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!