Don't buy a PC with Windows 8 installed! Until you read this. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2012, 06:29 PM   #21
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

MS OS have just enough security to annoy users but not enough to stop hackers. It must be difficult maintaining that fine balance over so many incompatible releases.

BTW I don't have a smartphone/tablet etc. so I certainly don't want my main PC pretending to be a big tablet. How long before MS insist on users having a brain implant to interface with the OS? Would be v666 of course.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:32 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I really cannot see how W8 is a step backwards. It s faster and easier to work with than 7 and rock stable like 7.

Some stuff has moved around, but once you find them it s really faster and easier to work with.
Like no start button is needed since you just have to move your mouse to the bottom left corner to see the start page thumbnail and click it.
The start page is really easier to use than the start menu. Everything is easier to spot, and if you need something else, just start typing its name and poof it s there.

Some work is still required on the applications, but these things are expected on new OS versions.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:35 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
This is also in effect a HUGE privacy violation, because how do you know what files are still on your hard drive(s) if you cannot see them and you must search for them inorder to know that they exist!??!?!!!
What do you mean by "don't know"? One can select "display hidden files" and "see them" all for as long as one have patience.

Quote:
The same thing happens with applications settings, I've heard that the fix to this is to run all of your applications under Administrator, but that doesn't work for me, and is a rediculously stupid security flaw. (assuming that a Microsoft OS ever had any security at all.)
There is always a way how a developer can screw things up. If your app is written by one it is not a fault of OS. Sure if application will try to write it files to one of the secured locations it will require administrator privileges. I never had this issue.
Old 12th December 2012, 03:36 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolbovoy View Post
What do you mean by "don't know"? One can select "display hidden files" and "see them" all for as long as one have patience.

There is always a way how a developer can screw things up. If your app is written by one it is not a fault of OS. Sure if application will try to write it files to one of the secured locations it will require administrator privileges. I never had this issue.
Notice how in xp the explorer window shows at least 100 files on the screen at any one point in time once you customize it?

Well with the W7 explorer window its still showing the older "you're too stupid to see more than 20 files in a window at the same time" view and it won't remember any settings to the contrary.

This is with the latest OEM release of w7
Old 12th December 2012, 03:39 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolbovoy View Post
agreed, but a developer shouldn't have to rewrite a 10 year old application just to cater to microsoft's bad hair day mood and your and everyone elses misguided obvious love for everything shiney and new.

And neither should I have to change just because my friends tell me that I'm a dumbass for staying with windows XP, my computer isn't a ******* playground for their egoes its a serious tool.

If it says XP compatible mode on the tin it should say what it does dammit!

Do you know how many applications I have had to abandon when moving from XP to 7? 150 applications!!!!

I've got mathematics tools, really excellent CAD tools that cost thousands of dollars, MS Office 2007 (which works fine under 7 but still, why bother upgrading?), psud didnt for a long time run on 7 either, webcam tools, GPS time synchronization tools, ham radio decoding software that is so old that some 15 year olds were born after it!

And as for the modern replacements they are FULL of spyware, no really, its like giving your system a blank cheque to be invaded by hundreds of apps that drag their friends along for the ride too and lay waste to your system, its no wonder that windows 7 works best when its running on a SSD cause it needs it!!

All of which were useful in some way, are now useless and don't function at all or work and don't remember the settings under 7, and a TON of vintage games no longer work either, yes I'm one of those gamers, but I also play a lot of modern games too, and my system isn't just a gaming platform.

Microsot is a dumbass for abandoning the worlds largest application base, aka, XP and the only reason why I'm currently on 7 is because of WASAPI and as soon as I get a USB to I2S converter I'm going back to XP and dual booting linux.

Last edited by freax; 12th December 2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12th December 2012, 04:18 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
I really cannot see how W8 is a step backwards. It s faster and easier to work with than 7 and rock stable like 7.

Some stuff has moved around, but once you find them it s really faster and easier to work with.
Like no start button is needed since you just have to move your mouse to the bottom left corner to see the start page thumbnail and click it.
The start page is really easier to use than the start menu. Everything is easier to spot, and if you need something else, just start typing its name and poof it s there.

Some work is still required on the applications, but these things are expected on new OS versions.
You know what that search bar gives to most people? a way to feel smart, if they are typing then they feel smarter, I however tend to want to not move my hand from the mouse to the keyboard just so I can eventually move my hand back to the keyboard inorder to double click on an icon.

Windows was always about clicking on things, not searching for things, especially when this file or this application is opened 100 or 200 times in a single day, its much easier to simply double click than it is to click, type a name, wait, then click again.

Now times that process of trying to remember the filename of a file 100 or 200x in a single day and you can see how the older original windows xp list view in explorer was much easier for me to handle.

And if I told you that there was spyware out there that was named after movies and music files, would you really want to search for it, then get a response that hides the filename extension and then click on it and become infected?

Or for this matter would you even notice any changes in your system like a different filename for an application that you are trying to look for?

Even an obviously glaring infection like that is hidden in windows 7 now.

Last edited by freax; 12th December 2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12th December 2012, 04:56 AM   #27
Johno is offline Johno  Australia
diyAudio Member

It might be my age or that I am an ex IBMer but I still miss OS2.
Old 12th December 2012, 06:18 AM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
(years ago I ran the BeOS)
You can still run BeOS (in Parallels). Edit: and OS/2. At the same time too.

dave

Mac OSX -- 4million+ UNIX users each year.
Old 12th December 2012, 06:22 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

and rising, might aswell tack on all of the ios and android users onto that number too, which are linux based, ios is based upon osx, lets face it, its windows which is the odd one out these days.

ios: 365 million
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/30...lion-imessages
android: 1 Billion by Nov 2013
http://www.asymco.com/2012/02/29/whe...billion-users/
Windows: 1.25 Billion.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...ge-few-numbers

Last edited by freax; 12th December 2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12th December 2012, 06:30 AM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You can still run BeOS (in Parallels)
Well, it used to run BeOS.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Parallels-OSs.gif (29.4 KB, 357 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!